The coming holidays can be a challenge for anyone engaged in a weight loss or diet regimen and with very good reason.
- With all of the treats that seem to lurk around every corner, workplace get-togethers and holiday parties; it can be easy for even the most driven dieters to get sidetracked and lose sight of their weight loss goals.
- This year though you can do things a bit differently. Giving your choices and portions a little carefully targeted attention you can steer clear of ruining all the hard work you have put into your eating habits the rest of the year.
One of the biggest challenges for many those on a diet during the holiday season…
- Is avoiding the hectic round of get-togethers and parties that almost always come hand in hand with the holidays.
- The good news about such events; however, is that many of them tend to be buffet and pot-luck types of affairs; which gives you numerous options that can help you to stick to your diet plans.
- While buffet tables are typically laden with heavy casseroles and fatty appetizers, you can usually find at least one platter of fresh vegetables served with a nice low-fat dip.
- Also, opt for fresh fruits instead of the abundance of baked desserts that are typically offered.
- Instead of stocking your plate up with diet dangerous foods, choose steamed vegetables and healthy grains such as wild rice and wheat bread.
- Opting for white meat instead of dark meat can also help you to stay on the straight and narrow, by avoiding additional calories.
When possible, restrict the amount of alcohol based beverages that you take in. Just a few alcoholic beverages contain a shocking amount of calories; not to mention the fact that they only serve to boost the appetite of most people. Choose plain water, an alcohol free beer or a wine spritzer or Pelligrino water instead.
When your turn comes to prepare the abundance of necessary holiday food, remember that there are various tricks you can employ in order to stay true to your diet goals and continue to keep family and friends pleased at the same time.
One way to do this is by substituting dairy free or evaporated skim milk for regular milk or cream in your holiday recipes. This will help to tremendously cut down on the amount of fat and calories included in your dishes without compromising taste.
IUnsweetened applesauce with cinnamon makes a great alternative for calorie laden oil while egg substitute can easily replace the necessity for eggs in most tasty recipes without any recognizable change to the flavor.
Ultimately, one of the greatest ways that you can steer clear of overindulging this holiday season is to take it slower and simple. Bear in mind that the whole point of this time of the year is to get together with close friends and loved ones; many of which you might not see for many months to come.
Focus on the fun and conversation instead of hurrying through a hefty meal and you will find that not only did you enjoy this year more, but that you made it through with your diet in one piece.