Food is an important part of health but we must be clear that it is only a part. A holistic approach to health is required, taking other factors such as water, air, exercise, emotions, and mental state into consideration. What we eat significantly affects our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well being. We all have different body types, ethnic backgrounds, medical histories, stress levels, caloric needs and physiological responses to food; therefore, no one philosophy is right for everyone.
There are many kinds of diets out there. Not all are healthy or right for you, so always consult a professional before starting on a nutrition program. Besides affecting your health, a proper diet program after consulting a professional will also help you achieve the target of your nutrition program more effectively.
Below are the different categories of diets. Click on each to see diets in that category:
Antioxidant Diets * Calorie Restricted Diets * Very Low Calorie Diets * Low Carbohydrate Diets * Detox Diets * Exotic Diets * Psychological Diets * Fat Burning Diets * Metabolism Diets * Meal Replacement Diets * High Protein Diets * Extreme Diets * Raw Food Diets * High Carbohydrate Diets * Low Sodium Diets*
Antioxidant Diets : are diets that focus on the benefits of derived antioxidants from food for your body
Macrobiotic Diet : Diet which relies on natural foods
The word “macrobiotic” is a Greek word which means “long life”. The macrobiotic diet and philosophy were developed by a Japanese educator named George Ohsawa.
The basic macrobiotic diet is essentially:
– 50% whole grains
– 25% seasonal vegetables, cooked or raw.
– 10% protein foods – such as fish or legumes.
– 5% sea vegetables
– 5% soups
– 5% fruit, nuts, or seeds.
Food should be organically grown and eaten fresh. No microwave should be used – rice must be cooked in a pressure cooker and food should be eaten and chewed slowly, in a relaxed manner.
Foods that are not allowed while following the macrobiotic Diet are sugars, spices, alcohol, eggs, meat, and cheese.
Benefits of the Master Cleanser Diet
– It is low in saturated fat and high in phytoestrogens, which may help to balance female hormones and help with menopause, premenstrual syndrome, and prevention against breast cancer and endometriosis.
– The macrobiotic diet is low in meat, dairy products, and sugar.
Drawbacks of the Master Cleanser Diet
– The macrobiotic diet is high in natural, unprocessed foods, complex carbohydrates, and vegetables.
– While following the macrobiotic diet the dieters may experience lack of energy due to inadequate protein.
– The macrobiotic diet is considered to be too restrictive and lacking in certain nutrients, such as protein, vitamin B12, iron, magnesium, and calcium
Review of Macrobiotic Diet
People with serious medical conditions such as cancer or AIDS should always seek proper medical care. Some people try the diet because they heard it can cure their disease, but research has not substantiated these claims.
The O2 Diet : Diet encourages a high intake of fresh fruit and vegetables and no counting of calories.
The O2 Diet is created by dietitian and CBS’s The Early Show nutrition contributor Keri Glassman. This Cutting Edge Antioxidant-Based Program claims to make you healthy, thin, and beautiful. Her O2 Diet is based on the ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) scale, developed by the USDA to indicate how well a food protects against free radicals.
Glassman claims that by following her high-antioxidant diet, not only will you lose weight but you will also have more energy, greater mental clarity, better sleep, less stress, increased libido and enhanced beauty.
Recommended Foods on O2 diet
Berries, pomegranate, mango, papaya, beets, broccoli, kale, lettuce, spinach, red peppers, whole grain bread, steel-cut oats, quinoa, legumes, organic eggs, soy milk, organic Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, seeds, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, chicken breast, turkey, fish, lean meat, tofu, red wine, green tea, dark chocolate.
The O2 Diet promotes exercise for its numerous health benefits including reducing the risk of heart disease, boosting bone health and fighting depression.
Benefits of O2 Diet
– O2 Diet encourages a high intake of fresh fruit and vegetables.
– O2 Diet may help to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.
– No counting of calories, carbs or fat in O2 Diet.
– O2 Diet is created by a qualified dietitian.
– The O2 Diet will appeal to dieters who like to understand the science of healthy eating.
Drawbacks of O2 Diet
– Must keep track of ORAC points each day.
– May be expensive to eat all the recommended foods.
– The O2 Diet is not specifically targeted towards weight loss.
Review of the O2 Diet
Although it does not appear to differ greatly from other plans that encourage a high intake of fruit and vegetables, its informative content makes for interesting reading and the delicious recipes contained in the O2 Diet may make this program attractive to dieters who are ready to embrace a healthy lifestyle.
Calorie Restricted Diets : are diets that focus on lowering your calorie intake to promote weight management
3 day diet : A 1,000 calories a day diet with 3 meals with no
A three day minimum calorie plan with 3 meals with no in-between meals. The 3 Day Diet is one of the most popular short-term fad diets around today.
Often mistakenly called The Cleveland Clinic Diet, the 3 Day Diet is a regimented plan that must be followed exactly for three days at a time, followed by normal eating for four or five days before opting to resume the plan again.
The 3 Day Diet is simply a low calorie diet. By some unspecified magical force, the combination of the suggested foods included in this plan is supposed to create a unique metabolic reaction and boost fat burning.
Drawback of 3 day Diet
This kind of diet is often used by those who experience “yo-yo” weight – it is not a good habit to get into.
– The plan yields about 1,000 calories a day which has the ability to lower metabolism so when dieter reverts back to normal eating, you regain weight even quicker.”
– The diet “sets up a vicious cycle of being hungry during the restrictive three days and most likely overeating on the off days.”
Review of 3 Day Diet
Many people adopt the diet to try and achieve short-term weight loss. Weight loss is due to a sudden drop in calories – some of this may be fat – but most will be from water loss. Diet is not conducive to changing habits or encouraging a healthier lifestyle, which are fundamental to weight control.
100 calorie diet : Based on 100 calorie snack every two hours till a calorie intake of 1500 and men 2000 calories daily
The 100 Calorie Diet is the creation of sisters, Tammy and Susie Trimble, who lost over 100 pounds following their diet plan. They claim that keeping track of calories in 100 calorie units is the easiest and best way to lose weight.
Foods are measured in 100 calorie portions and tools are provided to assist dieters in this task every two hours. The basic concept is to continue eating the same foods as usual, but to become aware of serving sizes.
The basic concept is to continue eating the same foods as usual, but to become aware of serving sizes. The authors claim that this will increase dieter’s success of sticking with the plan because you will be able to eat the foods you actually enjoy.
Women are permitted a calorie intake of 1500 and men 2000 calories daily. Dieters are advised to spend their calories wisely, to only eat high quality foods and not to waste calories on foods that don’t taste good.
An important aspect of the program is planning and dieters are advised to write down what they are going to eat each day in advance. The 100 Calorie Diet also includes questionnaires to help dieters identify obstacles to successful weight loss such as emotional issues and poor stress coping abilities.
Foods Allowed on 100 calorie day diet
‘Free foods’ included in 100 calorie diet: bell pepper, broccoli, butternut squash, cabbage, carrots, cucumber, green beans, lettuce, mushrooms, snow peas, tomato, zucchini, alfalfa sprouts, balsamic vinegar, bouillon, capers, carob, cocoa, pickles, hot sauce, salsa, diet soda, soy sauce and splenda.
Drawback of 100 calorie day diet
– Calorie restricted diets usually result in rebound weight gain when normal eating is resumed.
– Calorie intakes may be too low for physically active dieters.
– Does not encourage significant improvements in dietary intake.
– Requires calorie counting.
– Dieters must plan their food for the day in advance.
– Encourages the intake of diet soda and artificial sweeteners.
3 Apple a day diet : 3-Apple-a-Day Plan involves eating an apple before each main meal
3 apples a day diet created by Tammi Flynn.The foundation of the 3-Apple-a-Day Plan involves eating an apple before each main meal.
Dieters are advised to consume 4-5 small meals daily, which should be based on healthy foods that are low in fat. The food plan that is very similar to the South Beach Diet with a relatively low intake of carbohydrates and reduction of saturated fats. Each meal or snack should also contain a source of lean protein because this has been shown to reduce appetite and improve weight loss.
The fiber in apples makes you feel full and the sweetness satisfies cravings. There are several reasons given for why eating an apple before every meal works as a weight loss plan:
– The apples act as a fat-loss accelerator.
– The apples are high in fiber and therefore very filling.
– The natural sugar in apples reduces cravings.
Food allowed in 3 Apples a Day Diet
Apples, low fat cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, eggs, chicken breast, turkey, lean beef, salmon, oatmeal, brown rice, broccoli, lettuce.
Drawback of 3 apples a day diet
– Meal plans are not very exciting and dietary boredom may occur.
– Dieters may become tired of eating apples with every meal.
– Eliminates many foods and does not provide any allowances for including favorite foods occasionally.
– May be difficult for vegetarians to follow the recommended meal plan.
Review of 3 apples a day diet
Some dieters may become bored with eating apples three times a day. Additionally the meal plan does not allow for cheats, which may make this plan difficult for some dieters to follow as a lifestyle approach to weight loss. Also, there is no real evidence that the apple itself is anything specia
Baby Food diet : Aimed at achieving weight loss by reducing meal and snack portions to small packages similar to portions served to a baby
Popularized by media, Baby Food diet is used for weight loss by reducing meal and snack portions to small packages similar to portions served to a baby. In this diet baby food is recommended as a healthy alternative to snacks and sometimes a meal. This is primarily a liquid diet and food is taken in the puree form.
Baby food is free of additives, pure and full of vitamins. Baby foods have relatively smaller portions which are small enough to control cravings and avoid the temptation to overeat.
Many selections in baby food are gluten-free for those on a gluten-free diet with Organic varieties available in variety of flavors.
Drawback of Baby Food Diet
– Small portions could lead to a binge later on
– Taste is bland -Since very little chewing is involved, satiety might not be achieved
Review of Baby Food Diet
Baby Food diet is a crash diet. Any crash diet can leave you feeling weak and tired
Skinny Diet Dieters : are advised to start each meal with salads and vegetables, followed by lean proteins because this will help you to feel full
Another diet that preaches a low fat, reduced calorie diet based on wholesome nourishing foods that are low on the glycemic index and high in fiber. What is interesting that the dieters are advised to start each meal with salads and vegetables, followed by lean proteins because this will help you to feel full. Emphasis is on encouraging foods that make you fell fuller for longer period of time to avoid frequent cravings.
According to Dr. Louis Aronne, one of America’s top weight loss specialists, the secret to losing weight and keeping it off has nothing to do with will power but instead is related to addressing imbalances in our biochemistry.
The Skinny Diet instructs dieters to always eat a protein breakfast, while avoiding fruit juice and limiting the intake of starchy foods such as cereal toast and oatmeal. Dr. Aronne says that dieters who eat protein for breakfast are more successful at losing weight because it helps control appetite and cravings throughout the day.
Pros of the Skinny Diet
– Created by a doctor who specializes in weight loss and nutrition.
– Focuses on long-term strategies for weight management.
– Encourages the intake of a wide variety of healthy foods.
– High intake of protein and vegetables can reduce appetite while dieting.
– Acknowledges the importance of adequate sleep.
Drawbacks of the Skinny Diet
– Some readers may find the contents of the book too technical.
– Weight loss may take some time to become apparent.
– Does not contain any particularly new insights.
Conclusions of the Skinny Diet
The focus of Skinny Diet in on increasing the intake of high-nutrient foods that helps to control the appetite and balance blood sugar levels, which will help dieters to reduce their intake of calories without experiencing hunger that is common with standard methods of dieting.
Sugar Busters! Diet Plan Weight loss : by eliminating refined sugars as this diet eliminates a significant source of calorie
The basic idea behind Sugar Buster diet is avoid certain sugars that cause of weight gain, in order to reduce weight. The Sugar Buster Diet recommends omitting certain carbohydrates from your diet which can increase the blood sugar. The Sugar Buster Diet suggests that calorie intake should not increase 1200 a day.
The basic idea behind Sugar Buster diet is avoid certain sugars that cause of weight gain, in order to reduce weight. The Sugar Buster Diet recommends omitting certain carbohydrates from your diet which can increase the blood sugar. The Sugar Buster Diet suggests that calorie intake should not increase 1200 a day
Benefits of Sugar Busters Diet
– The Sugar Buster Diet increases the risk of acquiring heart diseases and other health problems caused by saturated fat.
– The Sugar Buster Diet helps in weight loss and weight maintenance.
– The Sugar Buster Diet provides body with ample amount of phytonutrients and fiber as it focuses on the vegetable and fruit intake.
– The Sugar Buster diet is simple and not every food needs to be avoided.
Drawbacks of Sugar Busters Diet
– The Sugar Buster diet at times limits the intake of necessary nutrients.
– The Sugar Buster Diet can get monotonous for vegetarians as some healthy fruits are also eliminated from the list of eatables.
– The Sugar Buster diet ignores the fact of individual body requirements.
– The Sugar Buster diet is tough to stick for long term.
– Weight loss is very slow while following Sugar Buster Diet.
Review of the Sugar Busters Diet
Sugar Busters Diet works for many people for weight loss by eliminating refined sugars as this diet eliminates a significant source of calorie.
Negative Calorie Diet: Uses simple formula derived from a combination of food groups that contain lesser calories than the calories required to burn the food by the body
Negative Calorie Diet is based on the fact that there are no foods with a negative calorie value. However it can be possible to obtain a ‘negative’ calorie effect. Simple formula derived from a combination of food groups that contain lesser calories than the calories required to burn the food by the body resulting a phenomenon called “Negative Calorie Diet”.
The example below explains it better:
1. A piece of dessert consisting of 400 Calories (actually 400 kilocalories) may only require 150 Calorie (actually 150 kilocalories) to digest by our body, resulting in a net gain of 250 calories which is added to our body fat !
2. On the other hand, a 5 calorie raw piece of celery will require much more calories to chew and digest, so resulting in a net loss of calories from our body fat !! It implies that the more you eat, the more you lose weight!!!
Drawback of Negative calorie Diet
This diet is based on speculation and has no scientific backing to it. Also the “negative calorie food list” only talks about the vegetables and fruits to be eaten but it don’t give you any information on the preparations of them. The preparation can simply change the “magical “properties of these foods rendering them non-negative calorie foods.
Review of Negative calorie Diet
Mostly all green vegetables are fibrous and filling, high in nutrition yet very low in calories – any diet consisting of large portions of vegetables will aid in weight loss.
Bigger Loser Diet : 12-week program with Modified low carbohydrate diet,
Healthy servings ( 4-3-2-1) of vegetable,protein,grain and fat
Diet made popular by the biggest reality TV show the “Biggest loser” is a simple a low-calorie diet. Logic is that more calories are burnt than consumed. The plan is successful as it encourages healthy eating and complements it with an exercise routine.
The exercise recommendations are an integral and essential part of the program and include a full mix of both cardio and strength training on a daily basis. A good deal of commitment is required to stay the course.
Over the course of the 12-week program, the nutrition criteria contestants follow on the Bigger Loser show, which is created and monitored by a registered dietitian.
– Modified low carbohydrate diet: 45% of calories from carbohydrates (mostly fruits, vegetables and some whole grains), 30% of calories from protein, and 25% of calories from healthy fats or oils (seeds, nuts, avocado, olive oil)
– 4-3-2-1: daily 4 cups minimum of fruits and vegetables, 3 servings of healthy proteins (e.g. fish, skinless chicken breast, 93% lean ground turkey), 2 servings of whole grains, and 1 serving of healthy fat.
– Goal of 7 calories per pound of body weight for daily caloric intake.
Participants are provided with calorie counting resources and a food and exercise diary which they must maintain daily. This helps to raise awareness of past behaviors and develops an understanding for calorie balance through diet and exercise.
Drawbacks of Biggest Loser Diet
You need a mentor to help you follow the routine of Biggest Loser Diet.
Biggest Loser Diet is not a self-help diet that can be tested without guidance.
The Biggest Loser diet may not be enough for someone who is very active. If dieters are functioning well and feel like you have enough energy for their workouts, then the level is fine otherwise, dieters might want to increase the carbs to meet your activity needs.
1200 calorie diet : A balanced eating plan containing about 1200 calories
consumed per day
The 1200 Calories Diet Plan is a balanced eating plan containing about 1200 calories consumed per day. This diet plan can really help overweight people who are desperate to shed their weight in quick time. This is because 1200 calories will generally provide an adequate nutritional intake for most individuals, yet still allows the reduction of calories to the level that most dieters require in order for losing weight.
Food Allowed on a 1200 calorie diet plan
– A variety of food items like vegetables, fruits, whole grains,nuts, seeds, legumes, eggs and dairy products should be consumed.
– Fatty, sweet and heavily refined food items should be avoided. Eat only whole and unrefined food.
– Low fat versions of dairy products should be consumed.
One shouldn’t take weight training or other exercises when he/she is on this diet program. The body will not have any stored energy due to the consumption of mere 1200 calories, which makes it almost impossible to do any exercises.
Drawbacks of 1200 Calorie Diet
– Diet can lead to nutritional deficiencies.
– Many dieters will experience fatigue and hunger on a low calorie diet.
– 1200 calorie diet is not suitable for physically active individuals.
Review of 1200 Calorie Diet
The 1200 calorie diet does not estimate one’s body mass index (BMI) or Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) in order to calculate the number of calories that should be consumed on a regular basis.
Peanut Butter Diet : A simple low calorie diet where peanut butter is added to the snacks resulting in better weight management with reduced cravings
Peanut butter is promoted in this diet as the healthiest snacking option that helps you fill you up without resulting in any weight gain. nuts are good sources of mono-unsaturated fats, proteins, and other essential micro nutrients such as vitamin E. This scientific backing helps peanuts by the only hero along with being categorised under the “bad” food category.
This is a simple low calorie diet where peanut butter is added to the snacks resulting in better weight management with reduced cravings.
Peanut butter diet is a reduced calorie diet wherein you can expect to eat between 4-6 tablespoons of peanut butter a day.
-Breakfast includes a banana, cereal, and milk.
-Lunch involves a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and an apple.
– Dinner, however, is peanut butter free. A skinless chicken breast, chopped nuts, an avocado, and a salad compose one recommended meal.
Also recommended is a fair amount of exercise – approximately 45 minutes of moderate aerobic activity, such as walking.
Drawback of Peanut Butter Diet
The biggest drawback to this diet is identifying the right peanut butter. There are so many options available in the market making it difficult to pick the least processed label. This diet also tends to get monotonous since you are restricted to eating peanut butter sandwich all the time. One needs to add some amount of physical activity to achieve desirable weight loss results.
Review of Peanut Butter Diet
The idea of a perceived “bad” food getting a clean chit to a dieter seems very exciting. Though its similar to most diets where most meals are low calorie and high protein with the peanut butter sandwich thrown in for snacks. The diet is average and will require a strong work-out routine to actually see good results on weight loss.
Bob Greene’s Best Life Diet : Bob’s three–phased approach with an objective of increasing activity level and restructuring diet — will help jump-start metabolism and increase the number of calories you burn.
The Best Life Diet by Bob Greene, Ophra’s personal trainer guides you to develop healthy eating habits and a healthy lifestyle, for weight loss and to maintain a healthy weight. The program does this in 3 phases. Bob’s three–phased approach is meant to prepare your body for weight loss. For instance, two key Phase One objectives — increasing your activity level and restructuring how you eat — will help jumpstart your metabolism and increase the number of calories you burn.
Phase 1 – minimum 4 weeks (More activity, establishing meal patterns): The diet program stipulates 3 meals (including breakfast) plus at least 1 snack daily, and no eating during minimum 2 hours before bedtime along with increase physical activity.
Phase 2 – minimum 4 weeks (Significant but consistent weight loss through control of hunger and dietary changes): Dieters on Best Life Diet develop understanding of the physical and emotional reasons for your hunger using the hunger scale. Eat reasonable food portions, and remove 6 foods from your diet that are ‘empty’ or are problem foods.
Phase 3 – lifetime lifestyle (Continue to improve quality of diet for good health and weight maintenance): other foods according to the calories advice given, and balance your diet using the guidelines, removing more unhealthy foods and adding wholesome ones.
Review of Best Life Diet
The Best Life Diet helps you keep your calories in check. Dieters do so primarily by managing the hunger using a tool called the Hunger Scale, putting a lid on sweets and eating proper portions.
Cardio Free Diet Cardio Free Diet : recommends three meals per day along with three small snacks. This is added by resistance exercises for 20 minutes, 3 times a week
Cardio free diet has been described Personal trainer and author, Jim Karas. Cardio free diet claims that cardio exercise is not only unnecessary but may actually be interfering with your weight loss goals.
Karas declares that cardio causes weight gain by triggering us to increase our intake of food and to consume more calories that we would otherwise. Karas also claims that the body adapts to cardio exercise over time so that it is necessary to keep doing more and more cardio in order to get the same calorie burning effects.
Basics of Cardio free diet:
Cardio free diet does actually give recommendations:
– To either eliminate or severely limit the intake of refined carbohydrates, sodas, juices and salad dressings.
– Dieters are advised to always eat breakfast and never skip meals.
– High fiber carbohydrates are recommended to help control blood sugar balance and prevent cravings.
– Cardio Free Diet recommends three meals per day along with three small snacks.
– A 100 calorie snack both before and after workouts.
– A glass of wine is allowed daily.
– Resistance exercises for 20 minutes, 3 times a week
Recommended Foods of Cardio Free Diet
Dieters are instructed to eat dairy foods and take a calcium supplement.
Cardio Free Diet Cons
– Requires calorie counting and strict portion control.
– Calorie recommendations are very low and it will be difficult to meet all nutritional needs on this plan.
– 20 minutes of exercise 3 times a week is unlikely to produce good results especially in intermediate or advanced exercisers.
Review of Cardio Free Diet
Weight training can help build lean muscle which boosts metabolism and promote an improved body shape. But cardio free diet program is fairly low calorie which will also tend to reduce metabolic rate over the longer term.
Furthermore many studies have shown that cardio reduces the risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer in addition to being one of the most reliable predictors of weight maintenance following a weight loss program.
Very Low Calorie Diets: are extremely low calorie diets that are difficult to maintain and can affect your health.
Swiss Secret Diet : Intense one-week period of a controlled fast followed
by a three-week plan with lots of vegetable
By Thomas Rau, designed to lose weight, along with benefits such as a stronger immune system, total body cleansing, increased energy, and psychological rejuvenation. The diet commences with an intense one-week period of a controlled fast in which you eliminate the intake of sugar, caffeine, processed foods, alcohol and animal protein. At the same time consumption of vegetables has to be greatly increased while consuming smaller amounts of fruits and whole grains. This is followed by a three-week plan where larger portions are permitted and vegetables remain plentiful.
Drawback of Swiss Secret Diet
– Many dieters will experience detox symptoms such as headache, nausea and fatigue, particularly in the beginning stages of the diet.
– May be too low in calories for physically active individuals and many dieters will feel hungry.
Review of Swiss Secret Diet
One-week is fast and elimination of food stuffs would be difficult. Overall this diet has would lead to protein deficit and therefore for muscle protein breakdown leading to loss of muscle rather than fat loss.
Fruitarian diet: A diet that comprises of fruits, nuts and seeds, while excluding animal products including milk and egg
A fruitarian diet comprises of fruits, nuts and seeds, while excluding animal products, vegetables and grains from its purview. Herein, people are adapted to a lifestyle and nutrition system that consists of eating only raw and dried fruit, nuts and seeds. A fruitarian diet comes along with various nutritional and health benefits, such as enhancing your mental abilities and making you beautiful and pure inside and out. However, it has a few disadvantages as well.
Benefits of Fruitarian Diet
– As the fruitarian diet is based on raw food it helps to prevent or reverse many common diseases and illnesses, as cooking fresh and living foods destroy the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and other nutrients present in them.
– The dieters’ experience that this diet reduces the effects of aging, promotes physical, intellectual and emotional vitality, and leads to overall excellent health and stability.
– The fruitarian diet detoxifies toxins from the body and purifies brain, cardiovascular system, respiratory system, nervous system, endocrine system and digestive system.
– Fruitarian diet induces more creativity, energy, happiness, rejuvenation and mental clarity in a person.
– The fruitarian diet cures and improves bad health symptoms, like constipation, insomnia, depressive cycles, stress and hunger.
– The fruitarian diet improves muscular coordination, balance of the body, capacity to work and professional skills.
Drawbacks of Fruitarian Diet
– Since a fruitarian diet is extremely restrictive, it makes the nutritional adequacy impossible to a large extent.
– A fruitarian diet is known to cause deficiencies in calcium, protein, iron, zinc, vitamin D, most vitamins B (especially B12) and essential fatty acids.
– A diet comprising of only fruits can also lead to hunger, cravings, food obsessions, social disruptions and social isolation.
Review of Fruitarian Diet
Various nutritional problems can occur in children, such as severe protein energy malnutrition, anemia and a wide range of vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Lack of proteins can make it difficult to sustain the lifestyle, hence resulting in hypoproteinemia or kwashiorkor.
Dean Ornish Diet: One meal per day is skipped in this diet and foods allowed are low-fat, whole-foods diet
Dr Dean Ornish recommended the diet . While many weight loss diets are low-fat, some fall into the category of being very low fat (where only 10-20% of the calories come from fats).
The goal of the Ornish diet is to prevent or treat heart disease. According to Dr. Ornish, severe heart disease can often be reversed by following his plan. In addition to a low-fat, whole-foods diet, Dr. Ornish also promotes moderate exercise, stress management techniques, and social support. All of these lifestyle changes can protect against heart disease, high blood pressure, and other diseases. In addition, the diet tends to be lower in calories compared to how most people usually eat, so weight loss may occur.
The Dean Ornish diet focuses on drastic reduction of calorie intake. Weight loss is experienced in 13 days. After 13 days the normal diet can be taken, without overeating. This diet is very strict as throughout its entire duration the routine of the diet cannot be broken or it won’t have any effect.
Foods Restricted in Dean Ornish Diet
Foods not allowed are; all fats, oils, nuts, seeds, avocados, refined carbohydrates (including sugar, white rice, and white flour).
In Danish ornish diet one meal per day is skipped. The breakfast consists of a beverage (either tea or coffee) with a single cube of sugar. The lunch is also very low on calories and nutrients. It consists mostly of a low calorie protein and two vegetables. The lunch diet keeps on revolving. The dinner contains protein rich foods but scant amount of vitamins.
Drawbacks of Danish Ornish Diet
– Very-low-fat diet is difficult for most people to follow.
– Fat provides a pleasant taste to food. It also gives us a feeling of satiety, meaning it helps us feel satisfied, curbs our appetite, and guards against overeating. People who follow a very-low-fat diet often feel hungry and unsatisfied.
– The Ornish diet can be low in other nutrients including protein, vitamin B12, and iron.
Review of Dean Ornish Diet
The Danish Ornish diet may be a bit extreme for the average person, many of the concepts can be incorporated into a diet of moderation to help prevent disease and promote health.
GM Diet : A seven day plan is that the food eaten burns more calories than they give to the body in caloric value
GM Diet and health program was developed for employees and dependents of General Motors, Inc. and was intended for their exclusive use. GM Diet program will be available at all General Motors Food Service Facilities to facilitate a wellness and fitness program for everyone. GM Diet’s target is to loss 10-17 lbs per week. It will also improve dieter’s attitudes and emotions because of its cleansing systematic effects.
Basis of GM Diet
The effectiveness of this seven day plan is that the food eaten burns more calories than they give to the body in caloric value.
GM Diet plan
– Day One: All fruits except bananas. If you limit your fruit consumption to melons, chances of losing three lbs. on first day are there.
– Day Two: All vegetables with no limit on the amount or type.
– Day Three: A mixture of fruits and vegetables of your choice. Any amount, any quantity except bananas and potatoes today.
– Day Four: 8 Bananas and 3 glasses milk combined with the special soup which may be eaten in limited quantities.
– Day Five: Today is feast day. You will eat meat and along with 8 whole tomatoes.
– Day Six: Beef (meat) and vegetables.
– Day Seven: brown rice, fruit juices and any vegetable.
Drawbacks of GM diet
– Too many restrictions on food so makes GM diet a difficult diet to follow.
– GM Diet cannot be continued in the long run.
– GM diet, by default, cuts out many valuable nutrients
Review of the GM Diet
The GM Diet is a short term route to weight loss, which may or may not be healthy. Especially if practiced in the long term. Losing such drastic weight is not healthy, as it puts a lot of stress on your health.
Low Carbohydrate Diets:
Ketogenic diet: Diet with less than 100 grams of carbohydrates per day
with a usual ratio of the fat/protein and carbohydrate is 4:1
A ketogenic diet is a diet high in fat and protein, and virtually no carbohydrate. Any diet that has less than 100 grams of carbohydrates per day with a usual ratio of the fat/protein and carbohydrate is 4:1 is known as a Ketogenic diet
By limiting the intake of carbohydrate, this diet forces the liver to finish its stored glycogen very fast. When the glycogen is over, the fat starts burning to add the fuel. This diet forces the body into a state of ketosis whereby ketones are used as a fuel source – rather than glucose. Due to the process of ketosis, the insulin production in the body is lowered which increases the production of glucagon by pancreas, and in turn the ability of the body to burn fat increases.
Ketogenic diet started as a diet to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. It is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that gets the body to burn carbohydrate instead of fat to release energy. The diet mimics aspects of starvation by forcing the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates.
Purpose of Ketogenic diet
The ketogenic diet provides just enough protein for body growth and repair, and sufficient calories to maintain the correct weight for age and height
Drawback of Ketogenic diet
– Reported side effects include dehydration, constipation, and, sometimes, complications from kidney stones or gall stones.
– Adult women on the diet may have menstrual irregularities. Pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), decreased bone density and certain eye problems have also been reported.
Review of Ketogenic diet
The diet lacks several important vitamins which have to be added through supplements. Sometimes high levels of fat build up in the blood can lead to heart diseases if followed for a long time.
No-Carbohydrate diet : Low-to-No carb diet that utilizes fat as the preferred
No-carbohydrate diet suggest as the name suggests prohibits intake of all carbohydrates. Instead it recommends using fat as the main source of energy mixed with right amount of protein. It uses mainly animal source foods and requires a high saturated fat intake
Food allowed on No-Carbohydrate diet
Butter, oils, vegetable shortenings, tea, parsley, mustard, club soda, diet drinks, gin, rum, vodka, whiskey, and even some whipped cream have zero carbohydrates as well.
Purpose of No-Carbohydrate diet
Low-to-No carb diets rely on the fact that the body is in a ketogenic state (ketone producing) that utilizes fat as the preferred energy source. In a non-ketogenic state, it is carbs that are the main source
Review of No-Carbohydrate diet
This diet leads extreme fatigue and poor nutrition. Have serious health issues if the diet is continued for a long time.
Glycemic Index Diet: The Low Glycemic Index diet works on the Principle the lower the GI of the food, the better.
The Glycemic Index (GI) Diet was originally devised to help diabetics. The index is a ranking of carbohydrate foods which measures the rate at which the blood glucose (or blood sugar) levels rise when a particular food is eaten.
The Low Glycemic Index Diet was developed by Dr. David J. Jenkins, a professor of nutrition at the University of Toronto and later turned into a successful diet book by author and former president of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario, Rick Gallop.
The Low Glycemic Index diet works on the Principle the lower the GI of the food, the better. The individual following the Low Glycemic Index Diet shouldn’t feel deprived or hungry between meals.
Glucose is set at 100, and all foods are indexed against that number. A high Glycemic index food has a value of 70 and above. A Medium Glycemic index food has value of 56-69 and any foods lower than 55 are considered a low Glycemic index food.
Benefits of the Glycemic Index Diet
– Moderate and sustained weight loss and weight management
– The Glycemic Index Diet reduces feelings of hunger caused from High GI insulin ‘crash’ during digestion
– Following the Glycemic Index Diet Mild to moderate energy increase from blood sugar balance
– The Glycemic Index Diet helps increase individual sensitivity and positive reaction to insulin
– The Glycemic Diet reduce the risk of heart disease and helps cardiovascular health
– The Glycemic Index Diet improves cholesterol levels and HDL/LDL balance
– The Glycemic Index Diet supports diabetes friendly nutrition & symptoms of PCOS
– The Glycemic Index Diet increases length of physical endurance
Drawbacks of the Glycemic Index Diet
– The glycemic index diet does not take into account other factors such as insulin response, which is measured by the insulin index.
– Some low Glycemic Index foods are high in saturated fat, salt and calories.
– The Glycemic Index Diet is significantly altered by the type of food, its ripeness, processing, length of storage, cooking methods, and its variety.
– The Glycemic Index value of a whole meal is difficult to find.
– The glycemic response is different from person to person, and even with the same person from day to day, depending on blood glucose levels and insulin resistance.
Review of Glycemic Index Diet
Glycemic Index alone does not provide enough information about the glycemic affect of a food. For example carrots have a high Glycemic Index, but you a person have to eat boxes and boxes of them to have any pronounced affect on blood sugar. This is because the amount of carbohydrate in carrot is very small.
To calculate Glycemic load (GL): Simply multiply the GI by the amount of carbohydrate and divide by 100.
Coconut Diet : The Coconut Diet replaces these highly refined harmful fats with one of the healthiest fats known to mankind: coconut oil
The Coconut Diet picks up where traditional diets fail. The coconut oil is a low-carb diet that revolves around the use of coconut oil to lose weight and alleviate common health problems. Low-fat diets don’t work. The body needs a proper balance of good fats, but in recent years traditional, healthy saturated fats have been substituted with harmful transfatty acids in food industry. The Coconut Diet replaces these highly refined harmful fats with one of the healthiest fats known to mankind: coconut oil.
he creators of the diet claim that the fats from coconut are metabolized differently than other fats in that instead of being stored they are broken down for immediate energy as they are MCT’s (Medium Chain Triglycerides).
Phases of Coconut Diet
There are four phases to the diet:
Phase 1 (The 21-Day Weight Loss Kickoff): Dieters eat three meals and one or two snacks throughout the day. The meals consist of lean protein and vegetables avoid foods such as bread, sweets, and fruits.
Phase 2 (Cleansing): Dieters drink fluids made from vegetables and fiber. This particular phase of the diet cleanses the internal organs.
Phase 3 (Introducing Healthy Carbs): an introduction of healthy carbohydrates. At the beginning of the diet, carbohydrates are strictly prohibited
Phase 4 (Maintenance): This final phase of the diet plan helps to maintain weight loss after the dieter has reached his goal weight. Despite this fact, the dieter is encouraged to continue avoiding alcohol, sweets, and some fruits.
Drawback of Coconut Diet
– Highly restrictive with complex rules.
– Phase two plans are too low in calories and will produce hunger and possibly an inability to carry out normal daily activity.
Review of Coconut Diet
The extremely restrictive nature of the diet necessitates that the majority of meals be prepared at home and the possibilities for eating out are very limited. Dieters must be prepared to give up alcohol, caffeine, sugar, grains, dairy products and most fruits.
South Beach Diet : The South Beach Diet Recommends eating in balance, little-and-often, low-GI carbs
The South Beach Diet was created by cardiologist Dr Arthur Agatston based at Mount Sinai Hospital in South Florida. The diet was originally developed for overweight heart patients. The patients experienced excellent results, not only in their general health but also lost weight.
Three Phases of South Beach Diet
The South Beach Diet begins with a somewhat restricted two-week induction phase generally producing weight loss of 8 to 13 pounds. During this phase most carbohydrates (such as rice, pasta, and breads) are avoided. There are three meals a day and snacks. The food that are allowed are meats, shellfish, chicken, turkey, and fish along with nuts, cheese (fat-free), eggs, salads, and vegetables.
There are two subsequent phases that include specific meal plans and recipes. The second phase reintroduces some of the foods avoided in Phase 1 – but only sparingly. In this phase
Benefits of South Beach Diet
– The south Beach Diet is nutritionally sound diet.
– The south Beach Diet is expensive
Drawbacks of South Beach Diet
– The South Beach Diet is a low cab diet during the first 14-day phase
Review of South Beach Diet
The principles of eating in balance, little-and-often, low-GI carbs are all included in the South Beach. Despite some feeling that the diet is a fad, and has had a major positive impact on the eating habits of millions.
Zone Diet : Plan that comprises an accurate balanced ratio of carbohydrates (40%), fat (30%) and proteins (30%); dieters’ actually get to eat foods, which control body’s insulin production.
The Zone Diet is based on nutrient ratio which is created by Dr. Barry Sears. The formula of Zone Diet is 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fats i.e. 40:30:30 which must be followed at every meal.
Benefits of Zone Diet
– The Zone Diet is a ‘low carb’ diet as the average persons consumes about 50-60% carbohydrates in their diet.
– Muscle gain is possible only with the right weights and exercise training.
Drawbacks of Zone Diet
– The Zone diet is that it is too complex to follow.
– The Zone Diet encourages a combination of all the nutrients in each meal.
– The calorie recommendations in Zone Diet may be too low for an active person.
Review of the Zone Diet
The Zone Diet is complex and has a substantial list of “forbidden” foods – however there are a number of web sites with programs that have substantially simplified the Zone. At its basic principles it is a good program and would be a great improvement for anyone who currently has a typical western diet.
The Clean Diet: A 21-day program will have a liquid meal for breakfast
and dinner while a solid meal for lunch
A 21-day detox diet that was designed by Dr.Alejandro Junger, a New York City cardiologist, and leader in the field of integrative medicine, is a 21-day detox diet. The Clean Program helps to restore the ability of the body to heal by reducing the load on the digestive system and delivering specific liver detox nutrients.
For each day of the 21-day program of The Clean Diet Program you will have a liquid meal for breakfast, a solid meal for lunch and a liquid meal for dinner. A special meal replacement shake is recommended for the liquid meals; however, it is possible to substitute this with fresh juices or blended smoothies or soups if desired.
The Clean Diet Program works on three-central pillars:
– Removal of toxins: Dieters are advised to avoid processed food and buy organic foods.
– Restore what’s lacking: Consume nutrient-rich foods (vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes) along with supplements to boost availability of depleted nutrients
– Rejuvenate your life: Meditate, even if for only five minutes a day.
Dieters are told that they should have a bowel movement every day even if they have to take a laxative and keep a twelve-hour window between the last meal of one day and breakfast the following day
Drawback of The Clean Diet Program
Use of colonics and laxatives in the diet can lead to electrolyte imbalances.
Review of The Clean Diet Program
The Clean Diet Program provides dieters the opportunity to undertake a detox program causing major disruptions to their regular lifestyle hence could not be followed for long term. Twelve-hour gap between a light liquid dinner and breakfast can often lead to hypo-glycaemia making dieter low in energy and get fatigued faster or even faint.
Lemonade Diet : Consume 6-8 glasses of lemonade and only other food
allowed is ‘laxative tea’
A lemonade diet is a form of detoxification weight loss program by Stanley Burroughs. Weight loss will occur, but it is not to be equated with fat loss.
Dieters can consume 6-8 glasses of lemonade and only other food allowed is ‘laxative tea’. People experience varying degrees of success as their body begins to flush itself of toxins – but the first few days are hardest. People report an enormous number of health benefits – relief of arthritic symptoms, infections, pain, gout, and many more.
– Designed to provide following benefits: eliminates toxins, cleanse kidneys and digestive system and eliminate waste and hardened material in joints and muscles
The progression from lemonade to solid food has to be done gently. Vegetable soup is a good starter.
Review of the Lemonade Diet
Much of the weight that is lost will be from fluid and water retention so it will bounce back soon after you quit from this diet program. Also, 4-8 days on just lemonade will not provide sufficient calories to carry on daily task and would lead to multiple nutrient deficiencies.
Core Balance Diet : A 4 Week diet to boost metabolism and lose weight
The Core Balance Diet: 4 Weeks to Boost Your Metabolism and Lose Weight for Good, was developed by Marcelle Pick, who is co-founder of Women to Women—one of the first clinics in the United States devoted to providing health care for women by women.
The first two weeks of the program involve a detox period where you learn how to change your diet and lifestyle in order to become more in touch with your body and identify your major obstacles to weight loss.
In the second two weeks you undertake a customized program, depending on which key area you identified. This will enable you to restore your Core Balance so that you will be able to rid yourself of ‘toxic weight’.
Recommended Foods on Core Balance Diet
Fresh fruit and vegetables, chicken breast, turkey, salmon, eggs, legumes, whole grains, raw nuts and seeds, olive oil.
Pros of Core Balance Diet
– Concentrates on supporting health first, with weight loss as a long-term outcome.
– Customized to suit the individual.
– Encourages the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables.
– May reduce the risk of developing diabetes, cancer and arthritis.
– Appeals to dieters who have tried conventional diets without success.
– Addresses the importance of emotional factors in weight problems.
– Includes meal plans and recipes.
Cons of Core Balance Diet
– Requires a fair amount of time to be spent on food preparation.
– May involve the need for nutritional supplements or diagnostic tests.
Review of Core Balance Diet
The Core Balance Diet will most appeal to women who have tried conventional weight loss methods without achieving success. It’s strength lies in the customized plan that is adapted in accordance with your individual health profile.
Real Food Diet : Does not contain a structured meal plan but eliminates
processed foods and other stimulants.
Real Food Diet believes that feeling satisfied and well nourished is critical for successful weight loss and in her opinion Mediterranean-style cooking offers the most enjoyable way to achieve this.
‘Get real’is the new age slogan that is promoted heavily by the Real Food Diet. Our body does not need processed foods and other stimulants instead should be pampered with the natural flavours of whole foods, fresh fruits and vegetables. The idea is to gradually detox your diet and substitute it with healthier options resulting in a healthier lifestyle. These healthier changes will give you more energy, better sleep, glowing skin, better digestion and over all sense of well being.
Real Food Diet outlines six steps to sustainable eating:
– Start Small
– Go Local
– Play the (green) market
– Branch out
– Learn the story behind your food
– Plant a garden – however small
Drawbacks of Real Food Diet
-Not specifically targeted towards weight loss.
– Does not contain a structured meal plan.
– A healthier diet will automatically result in weight loss.
Review of Real Food Diet
Even if this diet doesn’t tell us anything new it just reminds us that natural is the way to be for general well being. Weight loss is a by-product, the key is to lead a healthier lifestyle to intelligent food choices.
Fat Smash Diet : A 90 day program in 4 phases – detox, foundation, construction, and the temple.
The Fat Smash Diet is set out in the book of the same name by Ian K. Smith, M.D. The diet follows a 90 day program in 4 phases – detox, foundation, construction, and the temple.
Detox (9 days): This phase rids the body of toxins and impurities, developing a good basis for the other phases.
Diet is essentially vegetarian – mainly fruits and vegetables (raw or steamed/grilled) to absorb natural nutrients, vitamins and minerals in 4 or 5 small daily portions, 3 hours apart, with plenty of water – plus daily exercise (30 minutes cardiovascular exercise 5 days a week, or a walk after dinner for up to 25 minutes).
Foundation (3 weeks): This phase establishes good eating and exercise habits for a healthy ongoing lifestyle.
Additional foods are allowed from a given list (lean meat/seafood, selected cereals and extra dairy), and physical activity is increased by up to 15%. The eating regimen of phase 1 is maintained (strictly no meals to be skipped) including plenty of fruit and vegetables, and fried foods are a ‘no-no’.
Construction (4 weeks): This phase builds the diet plan up from the earlier ‘toning-down’ phases.
Yet more additional foods are allowed from a given list (such as pasta and bread), portion sizes may be increased maintaining plenty of fruit and vegetables as before, with at least 4 daily meals stipulated. 1 non-fruit dessert per day is permitted (1 scoop low fat ice cream or 2-3 cookies or graham crackers) and physical activity is again increased by up to 25%.
The Temple (remainder of the 90 days): This phase is to maintain the ‘temple’ of your body, in which your lifestyle achieves a balance for maintaining your desired body weight. If your goal weight has not been reached by the end of the 90 days, phase 1 may be repeated.
Most foods previously denied may now be included in limited quantities, and physical activity set at 1 hour for each of 5 days weekly.
Review of Fat Smash Diet
The Fat Smash Diet program has a growing following, especially given the exposure through Dr. Smith’s involvement with the VH1 Celebrity Fit Club. Many testimonials are positive about the results achieved, and the relative simplicity of the approach to weigh loss as set out in the Fat Smash Diet.
This is a simple diet program, manageable and by all accounts helpful.
Master Cleanse Diet : that allows only liquid meals which dissolves and
eliminates toxins formed in body.
The Master Cleanser diet was introduced to in the year 1941 by Stanley Burroughs. The Master Cleanser diet is also known as ‘Lemonade Diet’, it was re-introduced by Peter Glickman, through his book ‘Lose Weight, Have More Energy and Be Happier in 10 Days’. The Master Cleanse diet is free from solid food i.e. it requires the followers to drink mixture of liquids like lemon juice, organic grade B maple syrup, water and cayenne pepper, throughout the period. All these items make sure that the body gets all the necessary nutrients, that too in the right proportion. The diet is recommended for a minimum period of ten days, though most of the people end up taking it for a longer time.
People report an enormous number of health benefits – relief of arthritic symptoms, infections, pain, gout, and many more.
Benefits of the Master Cleanser Diet
– The Master Cleanser Diet dissolves and eliminates toxins that have formed in any part of the body
– The Master Cleanser Diet cleanse kidneys and digestive system
– The Master Cleanser Diet purifies the glands and cells
– The Master Cleanser Diet eliminate waste and hardened material in joints and muscles
– The Master Cleanser Diet helps to relieves pressure and irritation in nerves, arteries and blood vessels
– Following the Master Cleanser Diet helps to clean the skin.
– The Master Cleanser Diet helps to reduce digestion problems, acid reflux and heartburn. This Diet is the best natural and healthiest solution to all these pesky problems
Drawbacks of the Master Cleanser Diet
– The Master Cleanser Diet is not recommended for the faint-hearted people.
– The dieters may experience cramps in the abdomen while following the Master Cleanser Diet.
– Vomiting can occur, and joints could pain due to the Master Cleanser Diet
– The Dieters may also experience nausea, headaches and irritability while following the Master Cleanser Diet.
Review of Master Cleanse Diet
On one hand while following the Master Cleanser Diet People experience success as their body begins to flush itself off toxins but on the other hand the first few days of the diet are hardest. Some dieters use the diet for not more than 4-5 days, while others take it out to 2 weeks.
Lemon Diet : Consuming liquids and 6-8 lemons a day
Lemon Diet or ‘lemon cleanse’ is another fad diet aimed at the masses of people who are desperate to lose weight. It is seen as simply as another starvation diet as you will be taking in less than the daily recommended amount of calories.
Lemon diet helps the body to get rid of any unwanted toxins present in the colon and the liver that are preventing the optimum performance of the body. Lemon diet not only helps in weight reduction, but also increases the energy level and gives a glow and softness to the skin.
Drawbacks of Lemon Diet
– Dieters’ may feel quite weak or tired for the first few days of the diet as your body is getting rid of unwanted toxins and fat.
– Dieters’ may also feel too giddy or sluggish because of very low caloric intake of the diet.
Review of Lemon Diet
Lemon diet is an extremely low protein and calorie count, the body is not able to generate enough energy to provide sufficient nutrients to rebuild lost muscle tissue. There is therefore a good chance that those who report rapid weight loss are actually losing muscle than fat. There is also the danger of the body sensing a sudden loss in calorie intake and goes into starvation mode where it maintains stores of fat for emergencies given the reduced intake.
Detox Diet : Typically involves one or two days of liquid diet, especially a water diet. For the following four to five days, non-toxic foods
A Detox Diet ( detoxification, also called a cleansing diet) will remove toxins and poisons from your body. The idea of a good detox diet is to eat pure and natural foods that will aid the function of the lymph, kidneys, and liver. All foods that hinder the regime will be avoided.
There are several variants of detoxifying diets, involving typically one or two days of liquid diet, especially a water diet. For the following four to five days, non-toxic foods, such as brown rice, fruit and steamed vegetables, are reintroduced into the diet. After a week or a maximum of ten days you start gradually reintroducing all the other foods.
Foods allowed on Detox Diets
– Organic food and drink (no pesticides or fungicides).
– Whole unprocessed foods (grains, nuts, seeds, etc).
– High mix of vegetables and fruit along with 2 liters of water per day
– Certain herbs such as Psyllium seed, Licorice rootGentian root, to aid the detoxifying process.
– Alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, and drugs
– Processed and refined foods
Advantages of Detox diets
Detox diets encourage a low-fat, high-fiber diet, cut back on caffeine and alcohol and promote a healthier way of life.
Drawbacks of Detox Diets
– No scientific evidence that these diets help rid the body of toxins faster.
– Detox Diets can lead to nutrient deficiencies and lowered immunity.
Review of Detox Diet
The Detox diets were created with the main purpose of freeing the body of stored toxins and not for the purpose of losing weight. The fasting days along with a healthy diet will also help get rid of some excess weight. This can be also turned against the weight-loss process, as the weight will usually come back when you return to the old eating habits.
Fat Flush Diet : A diet with restrictive phase of between 1100-1200
calories per day
Fat Flush is targeted towards cleansing the liver. Liver is considered as the fat regulator in the body. This diet detoxifies the liver enabling the body to burn more fat and lose weight. Special attention is given to sleep and hydration levels for optimum results.
The Fat Flush Plan is both a detox diet and a weight loss diet. The idea is to provide all the necessary ingredients to boost metabolism, reduce water retention, and promote fat loss.
The Fat Flush Diet has 3 phases
Phase 1 – Fat Flush (2 weeks): This is a restrictive phase of between 1100-1200 calories per day. It is a cleansing program to encourage weight loss by giving the liver support and nourishment.The intention here is to “lose bloating” – which refers to reducing water retention as well as some fat loss. In this phase you are not allowed to eat; margarine, alcohol, sugar, oils or fat, grains, bread, cereal, starchy vegetables, dairy products. Even the herbs and spices are restricted to a small list.
Phase 2 – Ongoing Fat Flush: Phase 2 of Fat Flush Diet includes more food choices, including the option of adding back a ‘friendly’ carbohydrate each week while checking for any adverse reaction.
Here the calorie allowance is lifted – to 1200-1500 calories.
Phase 3 – The maintenance phase or The Lifestyle Eating Plan: Essentially a weight maintenance phase, with a caloric intake of 1500 calories or over aimed at increasing your vitality for life. Some starchy carbohydrates are gradually re-introduced, along with gluten-free grains like corns, soyabean, millet, and some dairy (maximum of 2). These foods are added back one at a time to gauge your body’s reaction.
The program contains a significant exercise component varying between 20 to 40 minutes of exercise per day, depending on the phase. This is typically low-impact (walking) and strength training (lifting weights) is also on the list (twice a week).
Drawback of Fat Flush Diet
– The lower calorie levels could have the affect of slowing down metabolism rather than speeding it up.
– The calorie levels of phase 1 (or 2) will not be able to support a strong exercise regimen
Review of Fat Flush Diet
No conclusive proof that liver controls fat in our body. Being a low calorie diet and having lots of food restriction will make you lose weight in any case.
Mediterranean Diet : A diet based on the style of eating based on the Southern Mediterranean region;which includes sea-foods
A Mediterranean Diet is a style of eating based on the Southern Mediterranean region (i.e. Spain, Greece, and Italy). The Mediterranean Diet consists of a lot of vegetables and fruit, salads dressed with olive oil, fish, bread, pasta, and other grains. The Mediterranean Diet contains only small amounts of fish and poultry, and red meat is rarely eaten. The Mediterranean Diet also contains low to moderate quantities of wine, and some eggs. Red wine is consumed as part of a Mediterranean diet.
Benefits of the Mediterranean Diet
– The Mediterranean Diet is low in saturated fat and high in monounsaturated fat and dietary fiber.
– Olive oil is the prime component of the Mediterranean Diet which is a natural juice that preserves the taste, aroma, vitamins and properties of the olive fruit
– The Mediterranean Diet also contains red wine which is good for health as it contains flavonoids with powerful antioxidant properties.
Drawbacks of the Mediterranean Diet
– The Mediterranean diet is high in salt content. Foods such as olives, salt-cured cheeses, anchovies, capers, salted fish roe, and salads dressed with olive oil all contain high levels of salt.
– Dietary factors may be only part of the reason for the health benefits enjoyed by these cultures. Genetics, lifestyle (notably heavy physical labor), and environment may also be involved.
Review of Mediterranean Diet
A 10-year study published in the Journal of American Medicine found that adherence to a Mediterranean diet and healthful lifestyle was associated with more than a 50% lowering of early death rates. A study published in the Archives of General Psychiatry shows that people who followed the Mediterranean diet were less likely to develop depression. The peoples of the Southern Mediterranean area have lower incidence of heart disease than in the West by following the Mediterranean Diet.
Grapefruit diet : In this diet plan half a grapefruit is prescribed before
A Grape fruit diet plan first introduced in the 1930 by Kelly D. Brownell, PhD was designed to lose large amount of weight in a short period of time. Grapefruit has no fat, low in calories and sodium, and is packed with vitamin C. It also contains enzymes that speed up the way our body burns fat, resulting in quick and easy weight loss. In this diet plan half a grapefruit is prescribed before every meal.
Grapefruit juice decreases the insulin level in the blood, when taken regularly. As it is rich in fibre content, it leads to a better health condition. Regular intake also reduces the risk of diabetes.
Grapefruit is possible to lose up to 10 pounds in 12 days and the best thing about this diet is that it is achieved without any starvation and you will be enjoying normal meals at normal times.
Drawback of Grapefruit Diet
– Grapefruit diet causes quick weight loss, primarily due to loss of fluids in our body.
– Grapefruit interfere with medicines for heart trouble or antidepressants,
Review of the Grapefruit Diet
Grapefruit is not easily available in India. Grapefruit is an expensive and impractical diet option as its difficult to find the fruit at the beginning of every meal However, the intake of grapefruit juice triggers the enzymatic action in the body, which leads to the burning of fat. It also retains the lost fluids in the body and balances the pH level.
Abs Diet : Created by David Zinczenko with 12 “power foods” to increase lean muscle mass and avoid storing fat
The Abs Diet was created by David Zinczenko – the editor for fitness magazine “Men’s Health”. A Flat ab diet that requires you to follow six guidelines: Eat six meals a day (three meals and three snacks); make 12 “power foods” the focus of your diet. Smoothies are also highly recommended in this diet. Essential to the diet program is strength and interval training.
The Abs diet contains a 7 day meal plan, made up of 12 ‘power foods’, along with recipes. One meal per week is designated as a ‘cheat’ meal – where you eat anything you want.
12 Power Foods are: A.B.S.D.I.E.T.P.O.W.E.R 12
– Almonds and Other Nuts eaten with skins intact.
– Beans and Other Legumes
– Spinach and Other Green Vegetables
– Dairy: Fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese
– Instant Oatmeal: Unsweetened, unflavored
– Turkey and other lean meats. Lean steak, chicken, fish
– Peanut Butter – All-natural, sugar-free
– Olive Oil
– Whole-Grain Breads and Cereals
– Extra Protein (Whey ) powder
– Raspberries and Other Berries
The more of these foods you eat, the better your body will be able to increase lean muscle mass and avoid storing fat. They have been proven to do one or more of the following:
– Builds muscle
– Helps promote weight loss
– Strengthens bone
– Lowers blood pressure
– Fights cancer
– Improves immune function
– Fights heart disease
This program allows you to nourish your body and mind, wipe out cravings, create and maintain an incredible physique, and have increased energy for life!
Trade Off and Review of the Abs Diet
No diet plan alone can give you a flat ab. It can make you lose weight by increasing the nutrition density of your daily intake. It is an expensive diet as it involves intake of exotic fruits and vegetables under the “power food” section.
Sonoma Diet : Based around the Mediterranean Food, enjoyment of food, gourmet cooking, and moderate portion sizes.
The name “Sonoma” comes from a region in Northern California, USA that has a prominent wine industry. The Sonoma Diet is a new Mediterranean diet by author and dietitian Connie Guttersen.
The principles of the Sonoma are based around the Mediterranean Food, enjoyment of food, gourmet cooking, and moderate portion sizes are the keys of this diet.
The Sonoma Diet has 3 stages known as waves.
Wave 1 is a more restrictive phase lasting 10 days. The idea is to break ties and addictions with sugary and fatty foods – however this is not a severe induction phase.
Wave 2 is the primary weight loss phase where each meal is created with appropriate portions. There is no calorie counting or special foods or supplements.
Wave 3 is a lifelong eating pattern for weight management.
Sonoma comes with a wine guide to assist in selecting the appropriate wine to accompany the evening meal.
Review of the Sonoma Diet
The Sonoma Diet is a healthy and balanced diet well-versed in the Mediterranean style of eating. Some find the diet as a fad, still it remains a healthy diet.
Beck’s Diet : Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) approach to tackle lifestyle problems that result in weight gain
Beck’s diet uses Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) approach to tackle lifestyle problems that result in weight gain while enabling healthier lifestyle change that is both relatively rapid and yet durable. This technique uses tools and strategies to identify problems, face them and solve them. It helps relieve people of the vicious cycle of weight gain.
By following the Cognitive Therapy techniques dieters learn to:
– think differently and overcome common dieting pitfalls and sabotaging thoughts
– eat favorite foods while steadily losing weight
– feel in control in the most challenging situations
– feel confident in their ability to follow a healthy diet and exercise plan
– remain motivated to maintain weight loss for life
In addition, Dr. Beck has developed easy-to-use tools, including hunger monitoring scales, daily planning schedules, weight loss graphs, and motivational cards for handling time/energy hurdles, eating out, and other high-risk situations.
Drawback of Beck’s Diet
It only considers the behaviour aspect of eating habits not so much so the healthier options of food.
Dr. Phil Diet : Aims at healthy thinking as well as healthy eating
Dr. Phil’s diet is named for Dr. Phillip C. McGraw, Ph.D., the psychologist and life strategist seen on syndicated television in Oprah Winfrey show. Dr Phil has designed a weight management plan that aims at healthy thinking as well as healthy eating. This is good, because healthy thinking leads to happiness. Many people eat when depressed, and it can often lie at the root of many weight problems.
Dr. Phil refers to a person’s personal truth, or whatever it is about one’s self and the weight problem that a person has come to believe. He says that part of learning to lose weight is learning to get rid of thoughts that don’t work for weight loss and instead gain access to inner power and self-control. Dr. Phil says this helps people break the negative cycle of failed weight loss efforts and negative momentum.
Dr. Phil’s fourth key advises people to control habits by gaining mastery over food and through impulse control. The fourth key focuses on wiping bad, weight-gaining habits from their lives and replacing them with healthier behaviors. He lists weight-gaining behaviors and various pay-offs they offer to people.
Review of Dr. Phil Diet
Dr. Phil diet advised for dealing with complicated emotional and other eating-related issues is made seemingly simple, but that managing these issues alone is not easy.
The Gabriel Method Diet : that strongly addresses psychological issues that
may affect weight management
Jon Gabriel struggled with obesity for many years; although he tried numerous different weight loss methods he was still unable to lose weight. Finally, Gabriel lost 225 pounds when he gave up dieting for good and addressed the areas of his life that were a source of mental and emotional stress.
Gabriel learned that the body has an internal logic that determines how much you will weigh at any given time through his studies of biochemistry. According to him the secret is not to fight against this logic but to work with it.
One of the major principles of Gabriel’s plan is that you should stop crash dieting and start eating what you want when you want it. Gabriel explains that the body interprets dieting as a famine so in order to protect itself it slows down the metabolism.
Exercise is recommended in the Gabriel Method not only because it burns calories but also because if done correctly it makes your body to be thin.
Benefits of the Gabriel Method
– The Gabriel Method helps to break the cycle of yo-yo dieting.
– The Gabriel Method concentrated on long-term results rather than a quick fix.
– The Gabriel Method encourages the intake of fresh fruit and vegetables.
– The Gabriel Method strongly addresses psychological issues that may affect weight management.
– The Gabriel Method also encourages exercise.
Drawbacks of the Gabriel Method
– The Gabriel Method will not appeal to dieters who prefer a more structured diet plan.
– The Gabriel Method results may be very slow.
Review of the Gabriel Method
The Gabriel Method will appeal to those people who have tried many different weight loss approaches without achieving long-term results especially where psychological factors are suspected to be an important factor.
Fat Burning Diets:
Anabolic Diet Diet’s : first phase consist of diet comprising of 60% fat, 35% protein, and only 5% carbs while second phase consist of diet comprising of 30% fat, 10% protein, and a whopping 60% carbs
Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale promoted this diet to enable dieters to reach their fat loss goals without losing muscle mass. It has a strong following in the bodybuilding community although it could equally apply to any exerciser who wants to achieve their ideal physique.
The Anabolic Diet is a low carbohydrate diet that alternates with periods of high carbohydrate eating. The basic concept is that you will turn your body into a ‘fat burning machine’ rather than one that uses carbohydrates as the major source of fuel.
For the first week of the diet carbohydrate intake is limited to 30 grams a day or less so as to ensure that the changeover happens as quickly as possible. Exercise during this week can also speed up the change from carbohydrate to fat burning. This is followed by a switch over has occurred dieters then start to incorporate periods of eating high carbohydrates.
Anabolic diet’s first phase consist of diet comprising of 60% fat, 35% protein, and only 5% carbs while second phase consist of diet comprising of 30% fat, 10% protein, and a whopping 60% carbs
Health effects of the Anabolic Diet
• maximize production and utilization of—testosterone, growth hormone, and insulin
• shift the body’s metabolism to a fat-burning, muscle-building machine
• decrease catabolic activity in the body
• increase strength and endurance
Drawback of Anabolic Diet
The initial phase of anabolic diet is very low carb, which is designed to get your body into fat burning mode as quickly as possible.
– During this phase dieters may experience some uncomfortable symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, and brain fog, which generally go away within 48 hours as the body makes the switch from running on carbohydrates to running on fats.
– Cravings for carbohydrate at first, until the body goes through the readjustment phase. To combat sweet cravings, dieter can eat a ton of sugar-free Jell-O with whipped cream while on anabolic diet, which doesn’t contain any carbs.
Food Allowed while on Anabolic Effects
Diet soda, peanuts, chicken, fish, meat, cheese, butter, almonds, tofu, artificial sweeteners, low carb vegetables, mustard, pickles, sour cream, sugar free jello.
5 Factor Diet 5 Factor Diet : by Harley Pasternak is also a Hollywood
endorsed diet. This suggest 5 healthy meals a day , 5 days a week exercise.
5 Factor Diet by Harley Pasternak is also a Hollywood endorsed diet. Harley’s celebrity clientele demanded a quick, simple and incredibly effective workout regimen that they could squeeze between their time-limited breaks for example, on movie sets. In addition, Harley complemented the workouts by creating 5 healthy meals a day that could be prepared in a matter of minutes using simple ingredients. The daily diet has protein, complex carbohydrates, fibre, fat, and fluids.
5 principles outlined for 5 Factor Diet:
– 5 meals daily
– 5 criteria for each meal
– 5 minutes in preparation for each meals with 5 ingredients per meal
– 5 days a week ( 25 minutes per day) workout for 5 weeks
– 5 ‘cheat’ days in 5 weeks
5 Criteria for each of 5 meals per day
– Low-fat, quality protein
– Low-GI carbohydrate
– Healthy fat
– Sugar-free beverage
Sundays are considered a ‘cheat day’ – eat what you like, while sticking to the 5-meals principle.
5 factor fitness
The component of exercise is made up of five, five minute phases like
Phase 1: Cardio warm up
Phase 2: Upper body strength exercise
Phase 3: Lower body strength exercise
Phase 4: Core exercise
Phase 5: Fat burning cardio
The final phase of cardio can be extended up to 30 minutes depending on the need.
Food Allowed in 5-Factor Diet
Fruit, vegetables, lean meat, chicken, turkey, fish, eggs, whole grains, legumes, nuts, low fat dairy, and olive oil.
Drawback of the 5 Factor Diet
– Some dieters may not enjoy eating five times a day.
– Does not adequately address the psychological aspects of weight gain.
Trade-off and Review of the 5 factor diet
There is no scientific proof to this diet.
Brown Fat Diet : A four-week meal plan that alternate between carbohydrates and proteins.
The Brown Fat Revolution: Trigger Your Body’s Good Fat to Lose Weight and Be Healthier is written by James Lyons, MD., a plastic surgeon and former clinical instructor at Yale University.
Lyons recommends the dieters an eating plan where they alternate between carbohydrates and proteins. According to him this helps to reduce appetite, regulate blood sugar and hinder the production of fat. Lyons attempts to dispel the myth that eating fat will make you fat and he encourages dieters to ensure an adequate intake of healthy fats.
Dieters eat six small meals every day and should always consume a meal both before and after exercise. Apparently this will help to “keep your metabolism on an even keel,” and will assist with the replacement of yellow fat with brown fat.
The Brown Fat diet includes a four-week meal plan that provides options for vegetarian and vegan dieters.
Benefits of Brown Fat Diet
– Encourages the intake of healthy fats and low glycemic carbohydrates.
– Includes vegetarian and vegan options.
– Encourages exercise.
– Encourages healthy weight loss expectations.
Drawbacks of Brown Fat Diet
– Not all experts agree that activating brown fat will lead to weight loss.
– Diet is very similar to most other high protein, reduced carbohydrate diets.
– Does not encourage cardiovascular exercise.
– May not appeal to men and younger women.
Remarks of Brown Fat Diet
The Brown Fat diet is aimed to help dieters to develop a higher proportion of brown fat, which has been linked to an increased metabolism and reduced body weight. However, the claims made by Lyons for the efficacy of his program and beneficial health effects of brown fat are yet to be adequately substantiated.
While dieters may lose weight by following The Brown Fat Diet, it will probably not be primarily due to changes in the composition of fat and is more likely to be related to improving the quality of the diet and engaging in regular exercise.
Blood Type Diet : Diet recommendation varies with dieters’ blood group
which determines metabolic state of the person.
A blood type diet is a nutrition plan based around your blood type.
Blood type O. Here the prescribed diet is low-carbohydrate, high in proteins (such as meat and fish), and low in dairy products. The author suggests specific foods to avoid; such as avocados, brazil nuts, and oranges. Type O should also engage in lots of exercise. Foods you can eat freely include meat, fish and olive oil; foods you can eat in moderation include eggs, nuts, seeds, certain vegetables and fruits; and foods to avoid include dairy products, beans, cereals, bread, pasta and rice.
Blood Type A should avoid red meat, eat plenty of fish and vegetables, with a low dairy intake. Light exercise only. Blood type A’s should follow a vegetarian diet but still avoid dairy products. This means nuts, seeds, beans, cereals, pasta, rice, fruit and veg are all on the ‘to eat’ list.
Blood Type B should avoid chicken and bacon, eat plenty of meat and dairy, some fish, and plenty of fruit and vegetables. The only foods that need to be avoided are processed foods, although nuts and seeds aren’t recommended and only small amounts of carb-rich foods should be eaten. When it comes to exercise, Dr D’Adamo recommends activities that have mental component, such as hiking, tennis and swimming
Blood Type AB combines the A and B diets. Type ABs follow a veggie diet most of the time with some meat, fish and dairy products occasionally. It’s the same when it comes to exercise too – blood type ABs should combine calming exercises with moderately intense activities.
Disadvantage of Blood Type Diet
– On a practical level, you may need a blood test to discover your blood group if you don’t already know it – and this will mean a trip to your local health centre!
– Mealtimes may also be impossible if everyone in the family wants to follow the diet, but has a different blood group!
– But most importantly, it’s just another cranky way of getting people to cut calories – and the most worrying thing about this is that while you’ll probably lose weight, it could also affect your health in the long term.
Review of Blood Type Diet
Blood Group diets are best to follow it for just a short time (one week or less) and use it to kick-start a longer-term, healthy, weight-loss plan.
Metabolism Miracle : A diet that takes into consideration metabolic syndrome,hormonal imbalances and liver detoxification.
The Ultimate Metabolism Diet is the creation of weight loss specialist Dr. Scott Rigden. According to Dr. Rigden people are categorized into five different metabolic types, in order to achieve and maintain their ideal weight each of which requires a specific dietary and lifestyle pattern.
Dr. Rigden outlines the five different metabolic disorders as:
1. Carbohydrate Sensitivity
2. Metabolic Syndrome
3. Hormonal Imbalances
4. Food Hypersensitivity
5. Liver Detoxification/Chronic Illness
Dr. Rigden also discusses the five “P’s” of successful weight management, which include patience, persistence, planning, positive thinking, and perspiration.
The food recommended by Dr. Rigden are raw and lightly cooked low starch vegetables, low glycemic fruits, nonfat cottage cheese, nonfat plain yogurt, lean meat and poultry, raw nuts, olive oil, legumes, whole grain bread, protein shakes, avocado, salmon, eggs, Ryvita crackers, brown rice, sweet potato. Dr. Rigden also advised all dieters to engage in daily walking to promote weight loss and improved health.
Benefits of Ultimate Metabolism Diet
– The Ultimate Metabolism Diet is beneficial to those who have had limited success with conventional approaches to weight loss.
– The Ultimate Metabolism Diet provides information specifically related to heart disease, diabetes, thyroid disorders, adrenal fatigue, polycystic ovary syndrome and food allergy.
– The Ultimate Metabolism Diet takes into account individual variations that may impact on the ability to lose weight.
Drawbacks of Ultimate Metabolism Diet
– Quite restrictive, eliminates a wide variety of foods and may be difficult to eat out.
– May require more time to be spent on food preparation.
– May require the use of supplements and medical food replacement powders, which could be expensive.
– Includes a lot of medical terminology, which may overwhelm some readers.
Review of Ultimate Metabolism Diet
The Ultimate Metabolism Diet is beneficial dieters who have attempted to lose weight by following a healthier lifestyle and still failed to achieve their desired results. The Ultimate Metabolism Diet provides a more individualized approach to the dieters.
Meal Replacement Diets:
Slim Fast Diet : Weight loss program that substitutes cooked meals with
shakes and bars.
Slim Fast is a weight loss program that substitutes cooked meals with shakes and bars. Earlier the original Slim-Fast shakes were criticized for being too high in sugar. This was rectified by replacing sugar with the artificial sweetener Splenda. The new range of Slim-Fast products is called Optima.
Slim Fast Products
The Slim Fast offerings comprise the following:
– Optima – Shakes (Ready-to-Drink), Bars, Smoothies, and Powders
– Original – Shakes (Ready-to-Drink), Bars, Smoothies, and Powders
– High Protein – Shakes and Meal Bars
The Slim Fast Diet involves replacing two main meals with Slim-Fast products. Each day will also include one “Sensible Meal” i.e. a lean protein (such as skinless chicken breast, or fish), carbohydrate (potato, rice, or whole wheat bread), and a large serving of vegetables, and fruit/vegetable snacks.
Review of the Slim Fast Diet
There is one study that Slim Fast cite claiming that “People who followed The Slim•Fast Plan routinely to lose and manage their weight were, on average, 33 pounds thinner after a decade as compared to a matched group from the same community who did not participate in the study. (reference: Blackburn GL. et al. Obesity Research 2003;11:A103)”
Special K Diet : The Special K diet is basically two meals a day consist of a measured amount of Special K with skim or semi skim milk, and the third meal, is balanced, normal meal
Promoted by the world’s largest breakfast cereal promoter Kellogg’s is endorsed as the easiest diets to follow ever that result in a substantial amount of weight loss in a very short period of time. The Special K diet is basically two meals a day consist of a measured amount of Special K with skim or semi skim milk, and the third meal, which can be either lunch or dinner, needs to be a fairly well balanced, normal meal.
Drawbacks of Special K Diet
– Anyone can lose weight if you restrict the calorie intake.
– It’s a not a long term solution and the probability of gaining the weight back once you get off the diet is very high.
– The lack of variation may lead to boredom
– Special K diet is potentially compromised nutrient intake.
– Special K is not based on whole grains and is not a particularly good source of fibre.
Review of Special K Diet
It is equivalent to going on a crash diet to lose weight. These sugar coated high carbohydrate cereal puffs have no nutritional value. This should be your last diet option.
Jenny Craig Weight Loss : The foundation of the Jenny Craig program is its
prepackaged meals, the majority of which are frozen
Jenny Craig Diet is not so much a diet, but a franchised weight loss center with packaged food. Jenny Craig weight loss clinics are all over the world.
The foundation of the Jenny Craig program is its prepackaged meals, the majority of which are frozen. The meals include approximately 60% carbohydrates, 20% protein, and 20% fat and are supplemented with fresh fruits and vegetables and low fat dairy products.
Dieters are offered with 24-hour online and telephone support where information, advice and encouragement are available whenever needed.
There are three levels in the program, these are:
The first level of the Jenny Craig Diet allows food dieters like in small portions.
The second level of the Jenny Craig Diet teaches dieters how to boost their energy and lose weight by regular physical activity.
The third level of the Jenny Craig Diet instructs dieters how to continue with a healthy lifestyle so that weight loss is maintained.
Dieters are educated as to which foods must be limited due to their high calorie content as well as the foods that can be eaten in abundance such as low carbohydrate vegetables and salad.
Fruit, vegetables and nonfat dairy products are recommended to supplement the prepackaged meals.
Benefits of the Jenny Craig Diet
– The Jenny Craig Diet is convenient and saves time involved in shopping and food preparation.
– Following the Jenny Craig Diet, the dieters have no need to plan meals or count calories.
– Support, advice and encouragement from Jenny Craig staff may be very beneficial.
– In the Jenny Craig Diet Calorie intake is adjusted to suit individual requirements.
– The Jenny Craig Diet helps dieters to learn about portion control.
– The Jenny Craig Diet povides guidance for eating in restaurants.
– Includes a weight loss maintenance plan.
Drawbacks of the Jenny Craig Diet
– While following the Jenny Craig Diet many dieters experience hunger due to the low calorie content of the meals.
– Sometimes it becomes difficult for dieters to maintain weight loss and calorie control specially when they stop relying on meal delivery.
– Some dieters may not like eating prepackaged and frozen meals.
– The Jenny Craig Diet is expensive in comparison to many other programs.
– The Jenny Craig Diet is not suitable for vegans.
– The Jenny Craig Diet does not cater for those with food allergies.
High Protein Diets:
Dukan Diet : Highly restrictive and requires elimination of many healthy foods including fruit, grains, legumes and nuts which promotes low-fat protein
Duken Diet was developed by French nutritionist and medical doctor Pierre Dukan over ten years ago. Apparently it has also been used by models and celebrities including Giselle Bundchen and Jennifer Lopez. The Dukan Diet is based around eating high-protein foods while severely limiting all carbohydrates including fruits, starchy vegetables, legumes and whole grains
Four Phases of Dukan Diet
Attack Phase: Eat only very beef, chicken and turkey (white meat, no skin), fish and shellfish, eggs, fat-free dairy products, and lots of water. The phase should not exceed 10 days.
Weight Loss Phase: In 5 days cycles, alternate consecutive days of eating protein along with non-starchy vegetables and eating only protein (again) until you reach your goal weight. Drink at least 2 liters of water per day. Do not use butter or oil.
Stabilization Phase: Eat one serving of fruit, two slices of whole wheat bread and 1.5 ounces of cheese per day. Twice a week, eat two 5-ounce servings of starch and all of the usual proteins – as well as pork and lamb – without butter and oil. Twice a week, eat two unrestricted meals with wine and dessert, followed by a day of only protein. Do this for the number of days that equals 4 days for every half pound lost.
Cruise Phase: Eat whatever dieters want with one day a week of only protein.
Drawback of Dukan Diet
– Highly restrictive and requires elimination of many healthy foods including fruit, grains, legumes and nuts.
– Some dieters can experience fatigue, mood swings, constipation, headaches and bad breath on high-protein diets.
– Dukan diet also encourages consumption of artificial sweeteners and diet soda.
Review of Dukan Diet
The Dukan Diet is an extreme approach that emphasizes low-fat protein. This diet is not suitable for those with a history of gout, high cholesterol, kidney disease or eating disorders.
High Protein Diet : Consuming high amounts of protein and low amounts of
carbohydrate allow for a slow burning of energy and maintain stable blood sugar levels
High-protein, low-carbohydrate diets have been widely promoted in recent years as an effective approach to losing weight. High protein diets typically contain 1g of protein per 1 pound of body weight. Some high protein diets will recommend a percentage of total calorie intake (such as 30% or more).
Consuming high amounts of protein and low amounts of carbohydrate allow for a slow burning of energy and maintain stable blood sugar levels. This maintains a healthy pancreas and assists in maintaining healthy weigh.
High protein diets generally recommend dieters receive 30% to 50% of their total calories from protein. Intake of protein should be uniformly disturbed through the day which includes six small meals. The diet was originally created for bodybuilders therefore it’s important to include a workout routine in addition to your weight loss plan for best results. Interestingly a high protein diet promotes weight loss even while you are sleeping!
Drawbacks of High Protein Diet
– Excessive protein consumption, particularly animal protein, can result in heart disease, stroke, osteoporosis, and kidney stones
– It is difficult to eat 6 small meals through the day especially when you are working or travelling
– Too high protein can leads to renal (kidney) failure or stress.
– Bone loss is also seen with high protein intake as it creates an acidic medium and calcium carbonate from bone will be leached out to balance the ph level of blood.
Review of High Protein Diet
By far the most successful weight loss plan especially when a good physical activity routine is added to this plan. However, increase has to be guided and gradual.
Cheat to Lose Diet : Aims to increase the leptin level, by increasing caloric intake which ‘tricks’ the body into resuming weight-loss – in fact suggests that a single day of overfeeding or ‘cheating’
A Cheat to Lose Diet set out by Joel Marion. The Cheat to Lose approach gets more deeply into earlier dieting principles of aerobic and strength training and high-protein small and frequent meals.
Cheat to Lose Diet aims to manipulate the level of the hormone leptin –which falls when calorie intake drops, thereby restricting the tendency for the body to keep burning fat, so weight loss slows or stops
The objective of Cheat to Lose Diet is to increase the leptin level, by increasing caloric intake which ‘tricks’ the body into resuming weight-loss – in fact suggests that a single day of overfeeding or ‘cheating’ restores leptin levels and the resumption of weight-loss activity.
This is the ‘cheat day’, when you can consume foods “you crave without feeling guilty”.
The 2 main phases of Cheat to Lose Diet are:
– The Priming Phase: One week of reduced carb, one week of Low Glycemic Load carbohydrates, one week of Higher Glycemic Load, and then a “cheat day”
– The Core Phase: Each week begins with two low-carb days, followed by an increasing Glycemic Load on each of 4 days, finishing with a ‘cheat day’.
The idea is to manipulate leptin levels in order to maximize fat loss.
Drawback of Cheat to Lose Diet
– The Cheat to Lose Diet may result in the development of poor habits leading to long-term failure after short-term success.
– In the diet, the seventh day of the week is a “cheat” day where you are allowed to eat any foods of your choice. Unfortunately, this can send the message that unhealthy foods can be a part of a healthy diet, leading to poor habits.
– The cheat day could be a stumbling block for people who have a habit of gorging on food when they’ve gone for days without having what they want. If dieters eat a large amount of fat and calories on the cheat day, they could undo all their efforts.
Review of the Cheat to Lose Diet
The Cheat to Lose Diet is not based on any scientific or clinical research. The cheat day can undo the efforts of the dieters.
Atkins Diet : A low carbohydrate (20 grams) diet that increases metabolism by burning carbohydrate instead of fat to release energy
“The most popular diet program” by Dr. Robert Atkins who first wrote about the Atkins diet in the 1970s. Atkins diet is Known to be inspired by our ancestral way of living where the main source of food were meat, nuts and seeds for many years. Atkins diet is also a low carbohydrate diet that increases metabolism by burning carbohydrate instead of fat to release energy. The only carbohydrates permitted during this phase are green, non-starchy vegetables. Atkins also works on the principle of ketosis by reducing carbs which forces the body to burn fat. Also, as carbohydrate is restricted in Atkins diet body forms less insulin and therefore create less new fat.”
Atkins Diet has four phases – all with a controlled level of carbohydrate intake.
Phase 1– Induction phase: A minimum of two weeks with a maximum of 20 grams of carbohydrate intake (no starchy vegetables, fruits, grains, bread). Alcohol is not allowed during the first two weeks of Induction. If extended, dieter can have a glass of wine, a low-carb beer, or a small amount of spirits mixed with water or club soda. This leads to 15 pound weight loss for first 2 weeks.
Phase 2 -Ongoing Weight Loss (OWL) phase: This phase of Atkins involves adding more fibrous vegetables (carbohydrates) until the “Critical Carbohydrate Level for Losing” is reached. This is done by gradually up carbohydrate intake, starting with 25 grams by increasing small portion of nuts and seeds.
Phase 3– Pre- Maintenance: Atkins diet’s stage where carbohydrate intake can be increased – but only until the point that weight is maintained. Aim is to not only to lose the last 10 Pounds—slowly but to keep it off—from now on.
Phase 4– Lifetime Maintenance: This phase indicate to maintain your new healthy habits—both in what you’re eating and physical activity—and your new body and new mindset will be yours, not just for today or tomorrow—but for good.
Drawback of Atkins Diet
– Atkins diet is a high-fat diet with more than 30% fat in diet and High saturated fat content.
– Promotion of their own line of processed meals and snacks.
– Potential for digestive problems such as nausea, constipation, and dehydration.
– Headaches, possibility of not being able to concentrate due to low carbohydrate intake.
– Recommendations for preventing colorectal cancer include a diet rich in whole grain which are not part of the early stages of Atkins diet.
– Another disadvantage of Atkins diet relies heavily upon proteins from meat, fish and dairy products. Such high levels of protein and fat are potentially dangerous upon vital organs such as the heart and the kidneys.
Review of Atkins Diet
Atkins diet is demanding specially during the first and second stage. Dieters would be required to make significant behaviour modification which cannot be followed for a long time. Very high recommendation of protein and saturated fat can overload the kidney and forms a acidic environment leading to bone loss (calcium carbonate) to neutralize the blood pH.
Raw Banana Diet : Eating only bananas and drinking room temperature water for weight loss
There is a new diet fad out called the banana diet. The creators of the Banana Diet from Japan claims that eating only bananas and drinking room temperature water for breakfast leads to weight loss regardless of what is consumed for the rest of the day. The diet is extremely simple and easy to follow however many Japanese have reported rapid weight loss when experimenting with this diet.
Basis of Raw Banana Diet
One of the reasons why the raw diet may work is that bananas are said to improve digestion and boost metabolism. Another possibility is that bananas are high in resistant starch, which is a type of fiber that can promote the feeling of fullness and may block the absorption of some carbohydrates.
Water at room temperature is recommended as it improves digestion or reduces hunger.
Rules of Raw Banana Diet
The banana diet usually has 4-5 rules and they are as follows:
– Eat one raw banana for breakfast, with some versions of the diet including a glass of room temperature water.
– Eat whatever you’d like for lunch and dinner. This includes fried foods. All the versions say no sweets for lunch or dinner.
– Do have a mid-afternoon snack. Some versions of the banana diet suggest having chocolates and cookies.
– Dieters are allowed to have room temperature water at meal times, but only a little.
– The raw banana diet requires dieters to go to bed by midnight. This allows four hours from your last meal to when you go to bed. You are not required to exercise unless you would like to.
There are several versions of raw banana diet which have a cut off time of 8:00 p.m. for dinner and strict bedtime of mid-night. Healthier versions of the raw banana diet suggest eating a banana, or another fruit, with water before every meal.
Drawback of Raw Banana Diet
– Easy for dieters to consume excess calories if they eat whatever they like for lunch and dinner.
– Does not encourage exercise and does not address psychological factors involved in dieting.
Review of Raw Banana Diet
Raw banana diet will result in a reduction of calories that will promote weight loss so long as dieters do not consume excessive calories in their other meals. Once they follow the normal diet the weight lost will bounce back.
Apple Cider Vinegar Diet : Apple Cider vinegar acts as a remedy for decreasing appetite by swallowing a few teaspoons of it before a meal
Apple Cider Vinegar is a tonic made by fermenting the juice of an apple. The fermentation process occurs when yeast and sugar are added to the juice. A second process involves adding certain bacteria’s to the juice which will then form an acetic acid. In fact, suppliers and health food manufacturers have promoted it as a magical remedy that cures headaches, diabetes, chronic fatigue, arthritis, high blood pressure and several other pestering aliments.
Basis of Apple Cider Vinegar Diet
Apple Cider vinegar acts as a remedy for decreasing appetite; relieve sunburn and itch, getting rid of dandruff, curing colds and many more. Also by swallowing a few teaspoons of apple cider vinegar before a meal reduces dieter’s appetite and helps them turn slim.
Types of Apple Cider Vinegar Diet
– Standard Apple Cider Vinegar Diet: The apple is crushed, and the juice is squeezed out. Yeast and sugar are added to aid the fermentation process. Take one to three teaspoons of apple vinegar before each meal.
– Sprinkle Some Honey On Top: Mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of raw honey. Dissolve in a glass of chilled water and take twice daily.
Drawbacks of Apple Cider Vinegar Diet
– A major downside of Apple Cider Vinegar consumption is that if consumed in large quantities, it might have a negative effect on potassium and bone density levels.
– The high content of acetic acid can cause damage to the tooth enamel, parts of the digestive tract, and the esophagus.
Review of Apple Cider Vinegar Diet
No long term scientific proof to substantiate the basis of the diet.
Chocolate Diet : Enable dieters to break their addiction to chocolate and learn how to include chocolate in the daily diet without compromising weight loss
The Chocolate Diet is an attractive Fad Diet because it includes everyone’s favorite food. Besides Chocolate it also includes pasta and popcorn. This sounds like the tastiest diet ever.
Voak created ‘The Chocolate Diet’ to enable dieters to break their addiction to chocolate and learn how to include chocolate in the daily diet without compromising weight loss. All of the diet plans begin with a complete elimination of chocolate for one week. Voak claims that this allows dieters to control their cravings for chocolate. Following this initial week dieters are provided with a daily chocolate allowance.
Food Restricted in the Chocolate Diet
The following items are to be avoided while on the Pasta-Chocolate Diet: Alcoholic beverages, salt/sodium, sugars (artificial sweeteners are okay), oils, oily fruits (avocados, olives, coconuts), high sugar/cal fruits (raisins, figs, dates),fried food, dairy products, red meats, nuts and seeds, unauthorized snacks (chips, junk food, candies, cakes, pies, etc.), coffee/caffeine and carbonated soft drinks.
Drawback of Chocolate Diet
– Calorie allowances are too low for most dieters especially those who are very physically active.
– Some dieters may find that chocolate even in small amounts increases their cravings.
Review of Chocolate Diet
This is basically a low calorie, low fat diet plan with small amounts of chocolate allowed daily. Dieters will probably lose weight on this plan initially due to the combination of low calories and exercise however the long-term success is still under a probe. Also reducing 7 pounds in a week is an unrealistic goal. Also it’s not clear that chocolate stimulates the metabolism or helps the fat burning process.
Cabbage Soup Diet: A 7 day meal plan where one is put on the cabbage soup diet for all the meals
The Cabbage Soup Diet is a 7 day meal plan, aimed at achieving fast weight loss. It is not a long-term weight loss solution, but is known to be effective over the short term. It is literary a cabbage diet where one is put on the cabbage soup diet for all the meals. The bright side is that dieters are also allowed to have certain foods, such as tomatoes, meats, vegetables and skim milk, depending on the day of the week.
It is primarily based on the claims that the cabbages have special fat-burning abilities, though not yet scientifically proven. There have been many different versions of this diet but the traditional cabbage soup diet allows you to eat as much cabbage as you want.
Basing on a simple 7-day diet, the cabbage soup diet is very restrictive. It is a low-fat, high-fiber, low-calorie diet, directed towards rapid weight loss.
The primary foods allowed throughout the cabbage soup diet include large quantities of cabbage soup (as much as possible, at least once a day), vegetables, fruit, and beef, but not all of these together, distributed day to day. Alcohol is particularly not allowed, only water and unsweetened fruit juices when suitable.
Drawback of the Cabbage Soup Diet
– A bit bland and boring, this makes cravings tough to ignore
– It also cuts out a good amount of nutrients along with those calories
– And while it does produce quick weight loss, much of this is water loss, not the more beneficial loss of fat. This means dieters will likely gain back a lot of the weight after they return to their normal eating routines
– Cabbage soup is hard on the digestive system and this causes the unavoidable flatulence/ gas
– Cabbage soup diet causes dizziness and headaches in many as it lacks proteins and has low carbohydrates which may lead to such problems
– Cabbage soup is very good for flushing out your body system. It works as a detoxifier, but overconsumption can lead to considerable loss of water from the body, and may also lead to diarrhoea
Review of the Cabbage Soup Diet
The extremely restrictive nature of the diet makes entire food groups off-limits on certain days. The major problem is that constructing an entire diet around a soup results in a calorie-restrictive and nutritionally-unbalanced plan.” So instead of loosing fat and water. The cabbage soup diet attacks the muscles and you end up losing precious muscle tissue.
Cabbage soup diet might also make dieters feel low energy levels throughout the diet due to the restricted amount of calories. Also, unlimited cabbage may not sound unappealing, especially to those who basically do not like cabbages.
Tapeworm Diet : Tapeworm ingestion interferes with digestion and absorption of nutrients, so one can consume more calories and still lose weight
An extreme diet that literally promotes ingestion of tapeworms for weight loss. The tapeworm interferes with your digestion and absorption of nutrients, which means that you can consume more calories and still lose weight. However the parasite also competes for vitamins and other important nutrients, which may result in a nutritional deficiency.
According to some scientists, tapeworm infestation can result in a loss of one to two pounds per week. Once the target weight loss is reached, an antibiotic is given, which kills the tapeworm so it can be expelled.
Drawbacks of Tapeworm Diet
This diet is banned in most countries around the world and can only be legally found in Mexico. The biggest drawback of this weight loss regime is that there is no guarantee that the tapeworms will remain in the digestive areas of your body. They can also find their way to the brain which can be very dangerous to the body.
Review of Tapeworm Diet
An extremely dangerous way to lose weight. Liposuction would be a safer way to lose weight. It is not recommended to anyone even in extreme conditions!
Raw Food Diets:
Eat Clean Diet : Allows dieters to eat foods in their natural state; unprocessed and whole.
Eating clean basically means that foods are selected from those in their natural state; unprocessed and whole. This is not necessarily a low calorie approach to dieting with a greater emphasis being placed on the quality of the foods selected.
Basis of Eat Clean Diet
When you Eat Clean you eat more often. You will eat lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats. These practices keep your blood-sugar levels stable and keep you satisfied. The best part is that dieters need to lose weight it will happen almost without you having to try.
Eat Clean Diet recommends six small meals every day that are to be composed entirely of clean foods. Each meal should contain around 300-400 calories and must contain protein as well as complex carbohydrates.
Cheat meals are allowed only once a week. This means that this is a very strict plan that will require a great deal of discipline in addition to implementing a dramatic overhaul of diet and lifestyle for most people.
Foods Allowed in Eat Clean Diet
– A wide range of fresh fruits and vegetables form the foundation of the diet.
– Complex carbohydrates include legumes as well as whole grains such as brown rice and oats.
– Lean proteins such as chicken breast, turkey and fish.
– Sources of healthy fats include olive oil, avocado and raw nuts.
– Foods to avoid include all processed foods, refined grains, sugar, foods containing saturated and trans fats and alcohol.
Drawback of Eat Clean Diet
– Very stringent plan. Must give up all processed foods including refined carbohydrates, sugars, prepared foods and alcohol.
– May interfere with social interactions, as eating out can be extremely difficult without deviating from the plan.
Review of Eat Clean Diet
After all, most dieters should know to abstain from processed “junk” foods and stick to healthy food choices, making their weight control issue one of psychology or motivation as opposed to one of incomplete information.
Raw Foodism Diet : Promotes consumption of uncooked, unprocessed, and often organic foods as a large percentage of the diet
Based on the principle that heating food above 116 degrees F is believed to destroy enzymes in food that can assist in the digestion and absorption of food. Cooking is also thought to diminish the nutritional value and “life force” of food.
This diet only promotes consumption of uncooked, unprocessed, and often organic foods as a large percentage of the diet is called Raw Foodism. Primarily constitutes of raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds (including sprouted whole grains), eggs, fish (such as sashimi), meat, and no pasteurized/nonhomogenized dairy products (such as raw milk, raw milk cheese, and raw milk yogurt).
Key purpose being that this diet helps cleanse the system and improves insulin tolerance resulting in weight loss.
Drawback of Raw Foodism Diet
Some people experience a detoxification reaction when they start the raw food diet, especially if their previous diet was rich in meat, sugar, and caffeine.
– Mild headaches, nausea, and cravings can occur which usually last for several days
Contraindications of Raw Foodism Diet
The raw food diet may not be appropriate for certain people, such as:
– Pregnant or nursing women
– People with anemia
– People at risk for osteoporosis
Review of Raw Foodism Diet
The diet is very restrictive and difficult to adjust to. Usually results in binging and excess weight gain post the program. The diet would also low in sodium and high in potassium, magnesium, folate, fibre and health-promoting plant chemicals called photochemical.
Also, our body uses its own enzymes for digestion and cooking makes certain photochemical easier to absorb, such as beta-carotene in carrots.
High Carbohydrate Diets:
Cookie Diet: Diet recommend cookie made of whole wheat flour, bran and oats which helps to control appetite and reduce hunger
Dr. Siegal Miami medical practice created his cookie diet based on the realization that when dieters are able to deal with their cravings with something healthy they are more likely to stick with the program. He originally created the cookies for people that can be ordered online via his website.
Each cookie contains 90 calories and low glycemic index ingredients such as whole wheat flour, bran and oats which helps to control appetite and reduce hunger. However the main reason he says they work is due to a secret blend of amino acid proteins.
Benefits of Cookie Diet
– Good for dieters that crave sweets.
– Cookie Diet control portions and calorie intake of the dieters.
– Result can be registered in a short period of time.
Drawbacks of Cookie Diet
– Medical supervision is must required for Cookie Diet.
– The diet contains inadequate nutrients and lack of fruits.
– Calorie intake is as low as recommended for safe and effective weight loss.
– Dieters feel fatigue because of low carbohydrates.
– The result is registered uptill the normal diet is resumed.
Review of the Cookie Diet
The dieters are unable to meet the daily minimum requirements of most nutrients and due to calorie restriction dieters registered rapid weight loss which is associated with many health risks.
Pritikin Diet : Diet recommends high carbohydrate (refined or processed) like pasta with very small amount of fat
The Pritikin program was originally published as a diet and fitness plan (around 1979). The author of the book is Nathan Pritikin who founded the Pritikin Longevity Center in California.
The Pritikin Center advocates a very low fat diet that is high in carbohydrates. Pritikin doesn’t have a distinct diet plan, but something called the Pritikin Calorie Density Solution. This involves looking at the combined calorie content of a whole meal. They aim to combine lower calorie content foods such as Pasta, Rice, Fruit, Vegetables, Seafood, and Poultry – with a small amount of fats (which they refer to as “forbidden”).
Review of the Pritkin Diet
The Pritikin Diet is good to reduce fat but it is also easy to gain weight by eating too much processed or refined carbohydrate.
The Pritikin Diet is not good for carb sensitive people.
Bread for Life diet: The foundation of the diet is bread; up to 12 slices of bread a day for women and 16 for men which act to increase serotonin levels, which in turn results in a reduction in cravings
Bread for Life Diet developed by Israeli Nutritionist is based on the premise that eating generous amounts of bread every day will reduce cravings and help you lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks.
Basis of Bread for Life Diet
The Bread for Life Diet does not require counting calories and will not allow you to go hungry. The foundation of the diet is bread; up to 12 slices of bread a day for women and 16 for women. This weight loss plan focuses on
– complex carbohydrates,
– Eating small frequent meals,
– Never skipping meals,
– Drinking plenty of fluids, and
– Having “food breaks”.
The theory behind the diet is that complex carbohydrates act to increase serotonin levels, which in turn results in a reduction in cravings for sweet foods and decreased appetite. Serotonin is also the neurotransmitter involved in mood regulation that the increase that is brought about by eating bread in large amounts daily will make you feel better and have more energy which in turn will increase motivation to stay with the diet.
Stages of Bread for Life Diet
Stage One: This rigorous two-week phase is designed for rapid weight loss. During this phase, you will be eating many slices of bread (up to 16 slices per day for men and 12 for women) with thin spreads
Stage Two: Look for more food choices during this stage, where you can remain for an unlimited amount of time. Protein gets bumped up to five times per week, but the catch is you have to reduce bread intake on these days (probably spare a slice).
Food Allowed in Bread for Life Diet
Salad vegetables such as lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumbers and sprouts are allowed. Fruits are required in restricted quantity. Meat, chicken or fish is permitted in 3 meals per week selected from low fat cuts and avoiding processed meats. Also, 3-4 eggs per week are allowed.
Drawback of Bread for Life Diet
– High carbohydrate diets and it may actually trigger an increase in cravings in some people.
– The type of bread could have a big impact on the effect of the diet on insulin and serotonin balance.
Review of Bread for Life Diet
Although the Bread for Life Diet does encourage healthy foods, there is a lack of variety, which means that you may not get all your needed nutrients from food.
Low Sodium & Other Diets:
Eating mindfully Diet : helps the body to get rid of any unwanted toxins present in the colon and the liver that are preventing the optimum performance of the body.
By using Buddhist concepts and cognitive behavioral techniques, dieters discover how to identify the reasons why they engage in mindless eating. This is generally related to either obsessing over or ignoring the messages coming from the body.
The goal of the plan is to learn to listen to your body and to make healthy food choices by being mindful.
Components of Mindful eating
Mindful eating involves many components such as:
– Learning to make choices in beginning or ending a meal based on awareness of hunger and satiety cues;
– Learning to identify personal triggers for mindless eating, such as emotions, social pressures, or certain foods;
– Valuing quality over quantity of what you’re eating;
– Appreciating the sensual, as well as the nourishing, capacity of food;
– Feeling deep gratitude that may come from appreciating and experiencing food
Drawback of Mindful Eating Plan
– Lacking in guidance about what to eat.
– Not really of relevance for dieters who do not regard themselves as emotional eaters.
Review of Eating Mindfully
The Eating Mindfully Diet is most appropriate for dieters with issues related to food or body image including all types of eating disorders. “Mindfulness helps us understand that our conventional view of ourselves and even what we mean by “self” is incomplete in some very important ways.
Low sodium diet :Restricting a higher amount of sodium intake results in water retention and weight gain, especially since most food high on sodium are also high in calories
Sodium is good for the natural functioning of our body but too much sodium can result in lifestyle disorders like high blood pressure. Major source of sodium in our food is salt. With the advent of fast food like burgers, chips etc our intake of sodium has considerably gone up. Higher amount of sodium intake results in water retention and weight gain, especially since most food high on sodium are also high in calories like your chips, sauces, pastas, mayonnaise etc . A low Sodium diet encourages restricted intake of salt in the diet. Salt is substituted with healthier herbs and spices to increase the flavour of the food resulting in a healthier lifestyle shift.
Drawback of Low Sodium Diet
Restricting sodium intake alone does not help you lose weight. Some amount of physical activity is required for weight loss. This diet helps in regulating the lifestyle encouraging healthier food habits.
Review of Low Sodium Diet
A Low Sodium Diet is not a diet which is primarily designed to help you lose weight; rather it is a diet which has been designed to deal with certain health problems and to help you eat in a healthier fashion.
Gluten Free Diet :Diet used to treat celiac disease, a disease that disrupts the absorption of nutrients in the small intestine.
A Gluten diet is popularly being used as a fad diet to lose weight. A Gluten-Free Diet is a diet completely free of gluten. Gluten is a protein found in most grains (specifically those that include rye, barley, or wheat). Traditionally used to treat celiac disease, a disease that disrupts the absorption of nutrients in the small intestine.
On this diet the main food types to be avoided are rye, barley gluten, and wheat. Examples of foods we love to eat but contain gluten are breads, pizza, pasta, malted breakfast cereals, bagels, and crackers. Food products like “Plain” meat, fish, rice, fruits, and vegetables do not contain gluten and can be consumed freely.
Drawback of Gluten Free Diet
– Gluten free diet needs special attention.
– Gluten free diets are difficult to find food products easily available in the market that are.
– Gluten free diet is not practical for most people.
Review of Gluten Free Diet
This diet mostly helps people suffering from celiac disease. Especially since one of the major symptoms of this disorder is bloating of abdominal, making your diet gluten free helps get rid of this bloating. The only other weight loss that happens is due to the restriction of calorie intake in this diet. There is no scientific proof that this diet helps in weight loss.
Paleo Diet : Diet with a nutrition break-up of the diet is as follows: 56–65% of their food energy from animal foods and 36–45% from plant foods.
Paleolithic age diet also popularly referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is based on our ancestors eating habits something like 2.5 million years ago. This diet, which was the way of life even much before agriculture was introduced to our ancestors, promotes consumption of whole foods that are healthy in their raw state. This diet was first popularized in the mid 1970s by a gastroenterologist named Walter L. Voegtlin. The premise of this diet is centred around that if we were to follow this primitive diet we will improve our personal health.
The Paleolithic diet consists of foods that can be hunted and fished, such as meat, offal and seafood, and can be gathered, such as eggs, insects, fruit, nuts, seeds, vegetables, mushrooms, herbs and spices
According to certain proponents of the Paleolithic diet the nutrition break-up of the diet is as follows:56–65% of their food energy from animal foods and 36–45% from plant foods. They recommend a diet high in protein (19–35% energy) and relatively low in carbohydrates (22–40% energy), with a fat intake (28–58% energy).
Drawbacks of Paleo Diet
A very difficult diet to follow as it restricts the food intake of your regular favourite foods like legumes, pasta, breads and dairy. Initially the dieter will suffer fatigue, headaches and cravings but in a few weeks the body will acclimatize to the dietary change. This diet is mostly suitable for non-vegetarians due to the high protein intake. Special attention needs to be paid to calcium intake substitutes due to the restriction of dairy products n the diet.
Review of Paleo Diet
The initial few weeks of the diet are very tough but the body gets use to this routine easily post this period. Not conducive to vegetarians since the vegan protein sources like legumes and dairy products are restricted in the diet. Not practical to follow especially when eating out or attending other social occasions.
Flat Belly Diet : Based on monounsaturated fats (also called MUFA) planned in every meal
The Flat Belly Diet is written by two editors from Prevention magazine. Liz Vaccariello and Cynthia Sass have modeled their diet around a traditional Mediterranean diet.
The Flat Belly Diet is based on monounsaturated fats (also called MUFA: Monounsaturated Fatty Acids). Every meal should have a MUFA component (that ideally replaces the saturated fat content).
Meal plans are set at 1600 Calories per day.
The recommended MUFAs containing foods are as follows:
Canola oil, flaxseed oil, olive oil, peanut oil, pesto sauce, safflower oil, sesame oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, walnut oil; Almonds, almond butter, Brazil nuts, cashew butter, chunky natural peanut butter, dry-roasted cashews, dry-roasted peanuts, dry-roasted sunflower seeds, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios, roasted pumpkin seeds, smooth natural peanut butter, sunflower seeds, sunflower seed butter, tahini (sesame seed paste), walnuts; Olives; Dark Chocolate
The rest of the diet includes: Fruit (in season); Vegetables (in season); Whole grains; Limited red meat intake.
The marketing of the diet claims “no exercise required”.
Review of Flat Belly Diet
A flat belly diet can be customized as per individual needs. The Flat Belly Diet is a healthy diet, and, when followed will probably result in weight loss. The claim that it will specifically target visceral belly fat seems to have little basis in research however.
Note: Bliss Returned does not endorse these diet.
- 1200 Calorie Diet Plan (answers.com)
- The Zone Diet (everydayhealth.com)