Dumortierite is a fibrous variably colored aluminium boro-silicate mineral, Al7BO3(SiO4)3O3. Dumortierite crystallizes in the orthorhombic system typically forming fibrous aggregates of slender prismatic crystals. The crystals are vitreous and vary in color from brown, blue, and green to more rare violet and pink. Substitution of iron and other tri-valent elements for aluminium result in the color variations. It has a Mohs hardness of 7 and a specific gravity of 3.3 to 3.4. Crystals show pleochroism from red to blue to violet. Dumortierite quartz is blue colored quartz containing abundant dumortierite inclusions.
Dumortierite was first described in 1881 for an occurrence in Chaponost, in the Rhône-Alps of France and named for the French paleontologist Eugene Dumortier (1803-1873). It typically occurs in high temperature aluminium rich regional metamorphic rocks, those resulting from contact metamorphism and also in boron rich pegmatites. The most extensive investigation on dumortierite was done on samples from the high grade metamorphic Gfohl unit in Austria by Fuchs et al. (2005). Dumortierite was named following the French scientist, M.E. Dumortier.
It is used in the manufacture of high grade porcelain. It is sometimes mistaken for sodalite and has been used as imitation lapis lazuli.
Sources of Dumortierite include Austria, Brazil, Canada, France, Italy, Madagascar, Namibia, Nevada, Norway, Poland, Russia and Sri Lanka.
Dumortierite is a stone that’s similar to kyanite, in that it enhances the abilities to break through barriers and it contains the mineral, Boron. This stone acts as an aid to your mental capabilities in overcoming tough situations. It opens the third eye chakra to enhance mental (and emotional) intelligence. Dumortierite promotes mental discipline especially in regard to learning new things. Students find it useful when they are required to take in large amounts of data over short periods of time, because it aids memory.
This enhancement is believed to be due to the effect it can have of balancing the throat chakra and enhancing communication between lower chakras/physical energy and the higher chakras/mental/spiritual energy. It highly reduces difficulties of scattered mind and disorganization. In addition, it encourages one to see and accept reality, and react to it in an intelligent manner in one’s own behalf
Metaphysical and Healing Properties
- Emotionally, blue quartz greatly reduces problems with scattered mind and disorganization, and brings mental clarity. It also helps one to see and accept reality, and react to it intelligently in one’s behalf. It can lift depression and replace it with peace and happiness. It also can help reduce stubbornness, particularly stubbornness that is ultimately bad for one. Blue quartz helps reduce emotional tension.
- When placed on the brow chakra, Dumortierite encourages clairvoyance, when placed close to the ear it encourages clairaudience and when placed on the past life chakra further behind the ear it encourages past life retrieval for the purpose of removing past life blockages and karmic burdens.
- Dumortierite is a great stone for anyone involved in sales. It not only helps you to show the best side of yourself, it helps you to find the words the customer needs to hear to close the sale.
- Keep one or more stones under your pillow or sleep with one in your hand to help you have prophetic dreams. Make sure to log your dreams in a dream journal immediately upon rising so you can remember as much detail as possible. By tracking your dreams it is easier to see trends that point to important events.
- Make an elixir from this stone and use it to wash irritated skin. It helps smooth and sooth the irritation and leaves skin feeling smoother.
- Physically can help with cooling the body, throat, thyroid, and parathyroid, detoxification, overstimulation, hyperactivity, spleen, endocrine system, blood.
- Dumortierite communicates with angelic or spirit guides, helping you see the worth in each human being.
- This stone takes you back to the beginning of your soul journey and breaks ties that are no longer useful. It is particularly helpful for releasing past-life causes of disease, difficult circumstances, and addiction.
- Stabilizing a rocky relationship, it is said to attract a soulmate.
- Dumortierite assists in standing up for yourself and adapting to your present reality, and helps you remain young at heart.
- It enhances all mental abilities – linguistic, mathematical, abstract, etc – as well as what is termed ‘emotional intelligence.’ It is a strong stone of mental discipline and is capable of enhancing one’s ‘will power’ in regards to learning.
- It helps one ‘tune’ one’s psychic abilities to the specific information, guide or channel one seeks, also greatly enhancing one’s ability to perceive the thoughts of others.
- Its most powerful attribute is to attune one’s consciousness to the frequency of the Divine Mind.
- Dumortierite is ideal for those who work in areas such as astrology and tarot, in which one must master a complex symbolic system and then use intuitive abilities to derive the most accurate interpretation.
- The Energy Conductor! Kyanite (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Fire Agate! (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Petrified Wood: The Gemstone of Transformation (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Herkimer Diamond: Gemstone Of Attunement (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Lodalite (blissreturned.wordpress.com)