Potassium converts carbohydrates into energy and stimulates the liver. Potassium helps to regulate water balance in the body, and the distribution of fluids on both sides of the cell walls. It is an electrolyte needed to maintain fluid balance, normal heartbeat, and nerve transmission. Potassium is absorbed through the intestines and is stored in the cells and kidneys. It is necessary for adrenal glands. Potassium is important for proper muscle contractions, normal blood pressure, growth, nerve impulses, healthy skin, cell metabolism, and enzyme reactions.
Functions of Potassium in Our Body
- It is necessary for normal muscle contraction and helps in prevention of fatigue and depression.
- It helps reduce the risk of stroke especially in people with high blood pressure.
- It maintains intracellular osmotic pressure as potassium chloride.
- It maintains intracellular reaction as-phosphates, bicarbonates, and proteinates-potassium constitutes a very important buffer system in the cell.
- It transports carbon dioxide by being present in red cells.
- Its ions help in prolong relaxation and inhibit cardiac contraction.
- Its ions inhibit muscular contraction.
- The use of potassium helps in treating low blood sugar, muscle abnormalities, leg cramps and sciatica.
- Potassium deficiency result in slow heart rate, scarring of heart muscle, hypertrophy of kidneys, paralysis of muscle, retarded bone growth, excessive fragileness in bones, lethargy, loss of appetite, and sterility.
Potassium Rich Foods
Spinach, Avocado, Cantaloupe, Broccoli,Tomatoes, Artichokes, Beet root Brussels Sprouts, Parsnips, Blackeyed Peas, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Soybeans
Winter Squash, Water Chestnuts, Yam, Bitter Melon, Fennel, Mustard Green, Apricot , Banana, Currants, Dates, Figs, Guava, Papaya, Passion Fruit, Persimmon, Plantain, Pomegranate, Raisins, Plums, Cashews , Pistachios Adzuki Beans, Navy beans, Buckwheat, Quinoa , White Beans, Lentils , Pinto beans.
- Chlorine (Chloride) : This electrolyte mineral works with the other electrolytes potassium and sodium proper balance of body fluids, as well as their pH balance. (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Hydrate Your Body With High Water Content Fruits and Vegetables In Your Diet (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Immune System : Boost Your Immune System With Fruits and Vegetables (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Sodium : Essential Organic Sodium Rich Foods (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Magnesium : The Importance of Magnesium in Healthy Bodies (blissreturned.wordpress.com)