Selenium works with Vitamin E to prevent fat and cholesterol accumulation in the blood. It enhances skin and body tissues elasticity. Selenium strengthens immune function and protect the body from environmental and other toxins. Selenium in the body is important in maintaining proper functioning of the immune and thyroid systems.
Selenium plays a vital role in working with the enzymes of the body and helping with the production of antioxidants. Antioxidants help in eliminating the free radicals of the body and thereby help in destroying these cancer producing cells of the body.
Foods with Selenium
Most fruits contain a small amount of selenium, but dates have a significant amount. (Bananas, Breadfruit, Guava, Lychee, Mango, Passion fruit, Pomegranate, Raisins, Watermelon)
Most nuts contain selenium, but the following nuts have a significant amount:
Amaranth, Barley, Brazil Nuts, Buckwheat, Cashews, Coconut, Fennel seeds, Mustard seeds, Peanuts, Rye, Sesame seed, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts, Wheat – Durum, Wheat – Hard Red)
Most legumes are a good source of Selenium but these are the highest.
(Black Eye Peas, Fava Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Lima Beans, Mung Beans, Navy Beans, Pigeon Beans, Pinto Beans, Soy Beans, Winged Beans)
Selenium Health Benefits
- It helps in destroying the carcinogenic cells that produce cancer and lead to destruction of cells.
- Due to its ability to produce a profusion of antioxidants, it has an anti-aging effect on the body.
- Selenium and thyroid are dependent on the other and it is seen that selenium plays a vital role in the proper thyroid functioning.
- Selenium also promotes the normal functioning of the liver and thereby keeps the system in good shape.
- It slows the progress of the HIV AIDS virus.
- It is also known to protect a person against several heart diseases as well.
- Selenium benefits also include maintaining the quality of hair, skin and eye health.
- It also helps to strengthen the immune system of the body by helping in the proper functioning of all the cells of the body.
- There are also studies that are done which prove that it can help with the neutralization of varied toxins on the body like alcohol.
- It increases the sperm motility in males.
Symptoms of Selenium Deficiency
- When there are lowered selenium levels in the body, it lowers the immunity of the body and therefore it can lead to increased chances of several diseases attacking the body.
- Of these autoimmune diseases, Keshan disease (enlarged heart), Kashin-Beck (osteoarthropathy) and Myxedematous Endemic Cretinism (Hypothyroidism leading to mental retardation) are the most common.
- It makes a person more susceptible to developing cancer and HIV/AIDS.
- There are increased chances of developing thyroid problems.
- It increases fatigue in the body.
- Selenium deficiency can also lead to hair loss and weak nails.
- Immune System : Boost Your Immune System With Fruits and Vegetables (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Immune System Booster – Food, Herbs and Activities (blissreturned.wordpress.com)