Be conscious of the foods you put in and notice the change in your libido in just 1 month! Here are my top recommended foods to get you in the mood.
- Celery: considered an excellent food to ramp up sexual stimulation. The reason being that it boosts a powerful substance known as androsterone – an odorless hormone released through male perspiration. ‘Yuk’ I hear you, er, think. Well, this is one of those kind of sweats that has that strange effect on women…the same effect that I understand a dozen red roses and a bottle of champagne has (apparently).
- Maca: this is a less common food, but is no less potent. Having only recently been introduced to the Western world you will be forgiven for not finding it in your local Tesco. I had not heard of this until very recently when it was hailed as “Nature’s Viagra” . Like anyone else, this claim made me curious. According to some it is believed to improve sexual performance, the frequency with which people desire sex and can be effective in increasing sperm count! Not only that, but guys should expect an increase in testosterone, a helping hand in any fight against erective dysfunctions and impotency and it also makes you feel younger. Quality! Fear not ladies – for women, maca is reknowned for increasing sex-drive and fertility! What a stormer!
- Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds contain zinc, which is important in testosterone production for men and also helps to sustain sexual desire in women. Pumpkin seeds are also rich in the essential fatty acid omega 3, which acts as a precursor of prostaglandins, hormone-like substances that play a key role in sexual health. Word on the street is that a diet rich in pumpkin seeds will enhance potency, drive and fertility.
- Saurkraut: an unlikely inclusion, but a vital key in unlocking your libido according to the headteacher-like Scottish diet guru Gillian McKeith has deemed sauerkraut sexy, citing a U.S. study that reported 90 percent of men were more “active” after eating it. Not as saur or krauty as you though eh?!
- Bananas: help to boost male libido largely due to the presence of the enzyme ‘bromelain’ . Bananas are also a good source of B vitamins like riboflavin and potassium, which increase the body’s total energy levels. However, they are also very rich in potassium and B vitamins, which are vital for sex-hormone production!
- Almonds: Almonds are another major source of essential fatty acids. Almonds provide the basis for the healthy production of male hormones that are important in regulating sex-drive (among other things obviously!). The smell of almonds is found to arouse passion in female. Although I am not 100% convinced by the latter!
- Avocado: The Aztecs called the avocado tree ahuacatl or “testicle tree.” Interesting fact. Avocado helps to increase both male and female libido. As it contains very high levels of folic acid, it assists in metabolising proteins, thus providing you more energy – which is obviously good all round. Avocado also features vitamin B6 (a nutrient which improves male hormone production) and potassium (which helps to regulate a woman’s thyroid gland). Quality!
- Asparagus: it is not only the ever-so-slightly suggestive shape of asparagus that acts as a libido booster – asparagus also happens to be very high in vitamin E, which has long been thought of as ‘the sex vitamin’. The Vegetarian Society suggests “eating asparagus for three days for the most powerful affect”.
- Chilies: may heat up your sex life too, due to capsaicin — the substance that gives kick to peppers, curries and other spicy foods. Triggering the release of endorphins, capsaicin is therefore a feelgood chemical for your brain! It also stimulates nerve endings and raises your heart rate. IMPORTANT: if you chop the chilies yourself – make sure you wash your hands very very thoroughly – heh
- Basil: apparently basil increases circulation, stimulates the sex drive and boosts fertility! It is also said to produce a general sense of well being for body and mind. But most curiously of all, its scent is supposed to drive us wild! In fact, basil oil was once employed by Mediterranean prostitutes as a perfume to attract customers! Pesonally, the scent of basil makes me want to drive to the nearest Italian restaurant, but that’s just me.
- Cardamom: Cardamom is an nicely aromatic spice. In many cultures it is viewed as an intensely powerful aphrodisiac and also beneficial in treating impotence (mix with maca for some ‘interesting results’). It is high in cineole, which can increase blood flow in certain important areas!
- Figs: rather crudely, some sources suggest that figs work as an aphrodisiac because of their appearance being similar to certain sex organs, but not I. Figs are very high in amino acids, which are critical to increasing you libido and boosting sexual stamina.
- Garlic: bad on the breath but good on the sex drive. Maybe this is one for long-term couples who don’t have as much worry over little matters such as garlic-breath (as long as you both munch it, you’ll be OK). Garlic contains high levels of allicin – an compound – that can improve blood flow to the sexual organs. But note – don’t just munch on big cloves of raw garlic! Allicin is only produced once garlic has been chopped as it is produced through an enzyme reaction. As a bonus, allicin is also has great anti-fungal properties (not that I am suggesting anything of course…)
- Cocoa : (Raw Chocolate) Casanova’s food of choice, a natural Viagra, it also offers esoteric mood elevating properties, a real natural high.
- Goji berries : are an aphrodisiac that increase sexual strength – they assists with prostate problems and are known to rejuvenate our sexual organs.
- Bee Pollen : is a great aphrodisiac that increases sexual strength, and is known to rejuvenate our sexual organs, it aids recovery after exertion.
- Catuaba Bark :This special herb is one of the most powerful libido stimulators. The Tupi Indians of Brazil refer to it as the ‘Tree of Love.’ It communicates to the brain that the body is ready for love making, while improving blood flow through the arteries that connect the brain and sexual organs.
- Potencywood Root : Several clinical trials have shown that this root has significant libido enhancing properties. It allows one to go beyond their inhibitions and ignite their sexual creativity.
- Turnera Aphrodisiaca Plant : This plant heightens orgasmic ability and spurs erotic dreams. The dried leaves and stems increase sensitivity of nerve endings in the clitoris and penis.
- Ho Shou Wu Leaves : Researchers have concluded that these leaves balance sex hormones, while increasing sex drive. It contains very high levels of Lecithin, which is known to help produce the sexual juices and fluids.
- Wu Wei Zi Berries : These potent berries increase sexual stamina in men and women. It increases libido and sexual energy, while enhancing overall vitality and wellbeing.
Libido Killers Include:
Diets low in fat – Fats are building blocks for the hormones
Hydrogenated oils and fats – While good fats are essential to pleasure, these fats interfere with them and a good sex life.
Excess sugar – Sugar overload causes blood sugar fluctuations that decrease energy and overall wellbeing and sexual health. It may also compromise neuro and circulatory actions that are vital for healthy performance. Fortunately there are many delicious and healthy sugar alternatives. Try agave nectar, date sugar, molasses or brown rice syrup and sucanat (cane sugar) but don’t overdo these quantities either.
Crash diets – A sudden drop in daily calorie or nutrient intake may cause a decline in sex hormones and a lagging libido. A sexy diet is one that is filled with vibrant libido boosting super foods and low in libido thieves everyday.