Look up superfoods and you’re likely to find berries, eggs, broccoli and quinoa. Great common foods, no question, but there’s more out there! We’ve compiled a list of superfoods that for some reason very few are talking about.
Often we do know that something is good for us without knowing the reason why. Case in point maybe with superfoods. There are some of these amazing foods that have always been hailed as nutritious and good for health. However, thanks to modern technology and health processes, today we are able to identify these foods as superfoods and this is because they do not possess just a single nutrient, but many.
Superfoods are nutrient-rich foods that offer us many benefits at the same time so in effect you get more nutrition with lesser amount of food that you eat. Look at your lunch or dinner and you’re probably hard pressed to find even a single superfood in it. Instead it’s probably chockfull of cholesterol laden junk food that can do wonders to your waistline (increase it) and damage your heart and arteries irrevocably.
Superfoods are actually easily available and it’s only in recent times that they’ve been identified as superfoods with near super powers. Also, since everyone is now into organic food, it’s become easier to find these foods in most places where you wouldn’t have found them even a few years ago.
Why should you eat superfoods?
Obviously, it’s for the amazing health benefits that they offer. These foods are rich in nutrients and work wonders in keeping your mind and body healthy. But, this is not all. Once you start consuming superfoods on a regular basis, you will start noticing the difference in not just how you feel, but also how you look.
Eating these foods regularly makes your body healthier, helps you flush out toxins more frequently and leaves you with a healthy glow. It also helps you maintain your weight and you can continue to remain healthy without having to take annoying vitamins or mineral tablets. Superfoods in fact contain all the right nutrients in the right proportions. But there’s more. So far, you’ve only read that they contain nutrients. But what nutrients are these?
Typically superfoods contain antioxidants, minerals, vitamins, amino acids, essential fatty acids, polysaccharides, enzymes and glyconutrients to name a few. However, the best part is that these foods are clean and pesticide free, organic sources of these nutrients, so in effect they act faster and work better.
So, what are these superfoods and where can you find them? Here’s a list of top 16 superfoods that you should include in your diet and see the remarkable changes that they bring in your life
1. Goji berries – Also known as wolfberry, desert thorn and matrimony vine, these berries are typically found in Asia and America. Goji berries have many interesting legends associated with them, particularly Chinese. What makes these so popular is that they can grow well in harsh weathers of both extremes and they can even survive desert type of environment. Goji berries are deep red in color and are often dried and eaten as raisins. So, how does the Goji berry help you?
- Increases immunity
- Protects liver
- Improves eyesight
- Improves quality of blood
- Prevent aging
An important thing to remember is that Goji berries should not be used to treat illness but to prevent it from occurring. Also, Goji berries provide overall nourishment by providing an amazing number of rich nutrients. In fact, the number of nutrients that it contains by way of amino acids, vitamins, polysaccharides, HGH (human growth hormone), are too many to be listed.
Goji berries improve the quality of your life and help you live longer. The Chinese also believe that Goji berries can considerably enhance libido and improve sex life. However, the most important aspect of Goji berries is that it is a very rich source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are crucial to keep you young but also to improve vision and eyesight. Goji berries are known to aid the production of choline, which stops the production of free radicals and prevents degeneration of the brain due to diseases such as Alzheimer’s. Finally, these are also known to protect the arteries from narrowing down due to build up of plaque along the walls, which can cause heart related diseases.
Goji berries can be added to tea or soups to make them healthier or you could just munch on them as you would with raisins. Goji berries can also be blended into smoothies or juices or added to other recipes to fortify them.
2. Açaí – This South American fruit has been one of the richest food sources for the people of the Amazon but it has started gaining immense popularity across the world as well for some of its excellent health benefits. The Amazon people of Brazil have been using the Açaí from many years and they seem to have fundamentally known that it had all these superfood powers without being formally educated about it. Scientists today are still discovering all the wonderful things that the Açaí berry can do, but nevertheless, some of its well known benefits have been documented already. Here’s a quick look at what the Açaí berry can do.
- Helps people sleep better
- Makes the immune system stronger
- Slows down the aging process
- Regulates the levels of cholesterol in the body
- Improves vision
- Improves circulation and functioning of the heart
- Reduces inflammation
- Detoxifies the body
What does the Açaí berry have which makes it such a fantastic superfood? It is known to contain significant amounts of essential fatty acids such as Omega 3 and Omega 6 as well as monounsaturated oleic acid. Açaí berries also have a high concentration of blue pigmented antioxidants and it has the one of the highest ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity) values amongst fruits. As we all know, free radicals are the cause of all harm in our bodies, including the ageing process and Açaí berries are excellent in absorbing these free radicals.
Açaí berries also contain plant sterols which are known for their cholesterol absorption qualities. Furthermore, Açaí berries have as many as nineteen different amino acids for building healthy proteins and it has plenty of dietary fiber as well which helps out in digestion. Açaí berries also contain very less sugar and have plenty of minerals such as calcium and phosphorus and vitamins such as beta-carotene and vitamin E. One of the most amazing qualities of Açaí berries is that since it has such a high concentration of anti-oxidants, it is also being considered as a cancer fighter, and research is being conducted to verify this aspect.
Today, the internet is full of information about how the Açaí berry can help you lose weight and yes, this is one of the fantastic side effects of using this berry. All the elements of Açaí berries such as fatty acids, amino acids, fiber and phytosterols work together to help you burn body fat and become trimmer.
Açaí berries can be consumed as supplements or as part of smoothies and juices. No matter how you consume it, it’s bound to benefit you in many ways, so make it a part of your regular diet.
3. Cacao – There’s always some sort of research being conducted on chocolate and every time the findings are always positive. This goes to show that chocolate is indeed good for us, but if you’ve noticed, the findings are always in favor of dark chocolate, a chocolate with very little sugar content. If you travel a little backwards and see, the origin of chocolate, that is, the cacao beans are actually much more than a source of chocolate. These are superfoods in themselves and have some amazing health benefits.
Cacao has a fascinating history with plenty of legends surrounding it, but what can be deduced is that until sugar was added, the drink made from cacao was considered highly potent. Today, there’s plenty of research available to suggest that cacao is indeed really good for us. Here are the ways in which cacao can help us as far as health is concerned. Now don’t run out and gorge on chocolate, cacao is a stimulant so moderation is key! Here are some amazing benefits of using cacao:
- Increases blood flow to the brain and enhances brain function
- Has a high concentration of anti oxidants such as polyphenols, catechins and epicatechins. Anti oxidants as we all know are the holy grail of youth and a disease free life.
- The magnesium in cacao is good for the heart, helps prevent constipation and even eases menstrual cramps.
- Cacao also has iron, which makes it a great weapon to fight against anemia.
- Cacao contains chromium, a trace mineral which works wonders to maintain the balance of blood sugar.
- Manganese, another trace mineral that can be found in cacao is great when it comes to building up of hemoglobin.
- Zinc, another mineral that cacao contains is known for its essential role in enhancing our immune system.
- Raw cacao contains vitamin C as well which has its own gamut of uses.
- Raw cacao contains essential omega 6 fatty acids. An important thing to note is that cooked and processed chocolate contains rancid omega 6 fatty acids or trans fats which are not healthy for you.
- Cacao beans contain certain compounds that can trigger weight loss, make you feel good and improve your mood considerably.
- The fiber in cacao beans works wonderfully to cleanse the digestive system.
Cacao can be found as cacao beans with or without the skin, cacao nibs, cacao butter, powder or paste and ideally it should all be organic. A great idea would be to buy raw cacao products and include them in your usual drinks such as tea or coffee or even coconut water. You can also use cacao nibs in desserts but ideally if you love dark chocolate, you should be able to adjust to the bitter taste of raw cacao which can do so many wonders for your body. Science yet has to understand the many layers and benefits of chocolate, but these are indeed pretty much there for everyone to see.
4. Maca – Maca is typically found in the Andes, at a high location where the land is barren and weather conditions extreme. These harsh conditions could probably be the reason why the maca root is chockfull of nutrients which makes it a highly valued superfood. Maca root in its various forms, either powdered or cooked has been traditionally consumed by the people of the Andes for many years and in recent times, scientists are recognizing it for its immense nutritional value. The world over, people are waking up to the enormous health benefits it offers, making it a highly prized superfood. Here’s how it can help you:
- Increases stamina and libido
- Helps the endocrine system function properly, thereby eliminating hormonal imbalances
- Lowers anemia and alleviates menstrual discomfort and cramps
- Is also known to be effective in fighting stomach cancer and tuberculosis
- Rich source of fatty acids and sterols
- Has a good concentration of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, sulfur, potassium, phosphorus as well as vitamins such as B1, C, B2 and E
- Known to help women deal with menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes and mood swings
- Works wonders at reducing the symptoms of altitude sickness
Maca root is usually dried and powdered and can be consumed as part of smoothies, teas, milk or coffee. Maca chocolate bars and energy bars are also available, but the most amazing thing is that maca works best with cacao so you can combine these two superfoods and create your own super powered superfood.
A word of caution though. As with anything, extremes are not a good idea, so never consume more maca than you should because it can cause adverse reactions in your body. Hyperactivity, insomnia, diarrhea and dehydration are some of the side effects that can occur as a result of over dosage of maca.
Maca is indeed one of the more potent types of superfoods because these can cause changes in the way you live and react as well. It’s always advised to use superfoods cautiously and never in excess because of the side effects that can result.
5. Chlorella – Chlorella is a fresh water algae and like its other algae cousins contains a complete protein profile, all the B vitamins, vitamin C and E and many minerals. It is amazing for the immune system and for reducing cholesterol and preventing the hardening of the arteries, a precursor to heart attacks and strokes.
Chlorella has many benefits, which cannot be overlooked. The effects of diseases like asthma, intestinal ulcers, depression, hypoglycemia and cancers can be lessened by the inclusion of it in the diet. Other chlorella benefitsinclude relief from bad body odor and constipation. Chlorella’s inclusion in the regular diet can bring very positive effects on the health of the individual.
The food that you consume contains metallic toxins and chlorella helps the body in breaking down these toxins. Mercury, cadmium and lead are some of these toxins, which can have negative effect on the body if timely decomposition is not done. Moreover, chlorella improves the immune system responses and is capable of detoxifying the body. Depending on the amount of it that you consume each day, the time taken for detoxification can vary. Usually this period may stretch up to six months.
Chlorella benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Magnesium is an important element for the proper functioning of the heart. Chlorella helps the body in utilizing its stock of magnesium for the well being of the heart while it prevents anemia by uplifting the production of red blood cells by the way of body stimulation.
- People who usually find trouble with their digestive system and do not like their body odor can find relief from it by including this high chlorophyll product in their diet. It eliminates constipation and thus the foul smelling stool.
- Interferon level in the body can be raised by regular use of chlorella. The increased level of interferon is helpful in fighting cancer, which is a deadly disease.
- The normal range of pH level of body is disturbed by eating processed or junk food. Chlorella helps in bringing down the pH level under normal range that is between 7.2 and 7.4. Any disturbance in the Ph level leads to diseases.
- People after the age of 40, mostly suffer from blood pressure and low sugar level. Proper flow of blood to the heart and other vital organs of the body is very important for the normal functioning of the body. Chlorella normalizes blood sugar level as well as blood pressure.
6. Spirulina – Spirulina is a specific type of blue green algae that has been around from a long time. This amazing superfood is rich in proteins, and it has become quite popular as a nutrition supplement. Spirulina is classified among algae but to be truthful, it lies between the plant and animal kingdom because of its cell structure and metabolic functions that make it a step above regular plants but not quite in the animal kingdom yet.
So, what are the health benefits of this amazing superfood and how can it help you? Let’s have a look…
- Contains plenty of vitamin A, E, B complex and C.
- Is a rich source of minerals like calcium, magnesium and iron.
- Has plenty of antioxidants that help in getting rid of free radicals to keep you young and healthy; these antioxidants are also known to help in fighting cancer
- Has a unique blue green color that is pretty much one of the reasons why this superfood is a cancer fighter.
- Helps in building protein, which is even better than soy.
- Is rich in GLA or Gamma Linolenic Acid. GLA is an essential fatty acid that helps in keeping the heart healthy; people have also found it to be useful in controlling weight and PMS problems.
- Helps digestion and it also diffuses the appetite so that you don’t feel that hungry.
- Contains beta carotene in a form that is even more potent than what is found in carrots.
- Contains lutein, which is really important for the eyes.
- Contains phytonutrients such as polysaccharides, sulfolipids and calcium spirulan which are rather unusual but offer lots of health benefits.
- Helps in making people feel energetic because it balances the immune system and helps your body heal and absorb necessary nutrients.
- Helps in detoxifying our bodies, especially where heavy metals like mercury and dioxin are in excess.
Research is still on to figure out the long-term benefits of Spirulina. Spirulina is easy to obtain although you must be careful to buy pure forms, because impure varieties are easier to get but just as harmful.
Spirulina is available in tablets or powder form, and the latter could well be added to your milkshakes and smoothies to make them more healthy and nutritious.
7. Blue green algae – Algae are one of the oldest forms of life on earth and blue green algae are certainly one of the oldest. These simple plants have a bad reputation because they are often responsible for water blooms that clog lakes and cause harm to marine life. However, blue green algae have their uses as well and even have plenty of benefits. In fact, recent studies have concluded that blue green algae like Spirulina are actually a powerful superfood with chockfull of nutrients and goodness.
Blue green algae –
- Are rich in antioxidants that are essential to fight free radicals that cause disease and ageing.
- Are known to relax blood vessels and lower the lipid content of blood.
- Help people who want to control their weight or lose weight faster. It’s worth noting that blue greens have plenty of nutrients but very little calories, which make it such an ideal superfood.
- Help in lowering the blood pressure.
- Contain a high amount of protein and help in keeping blood sugar levels in control. Also helpful in cleansing the body so people who are fasting can take it without any qualms.
- Aid the growth of intestinal bacteria, which is good for digestion.
- Lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
- Help in neutralizing bad breath
Blue green algae also have a few side effects so care should be taken when consuming them because sometimes it can cause headaches, sweating and flushing. Another important thing to note is that blue green algae that are harvested from the wild can be extremely toxic and cause problems such as liver damage, vomiting and diarrhea.
A good idea would be to only purchase organic blue green algae and make them a regular part of your diet. Blue green algae are available in the form of powder, capsules, tablets and flakes. Make sure you take only the recommended amount of dosage so that you derive the health benefits without the side effects.
8. Marine Phytoplankton –The marine phytoplankton has been the blue whale’s food for as long as it has existed. Do we really need another testimonial to the phytoplankton’s amazing ability to make the blue whale so strong and healthy? Not really, but we’ll look at it anyway because the marine phytoplankton is now being considered one of the top most superfoods that are there on this planet.
The marine phytoplankton has been on the earth for billions of years and was instrumental in getting human life started on the planet because of its ability to give out oxygen.
We already know how well Spirulina and blue green algae work for us, but close on their ranks is this amazing superfood, which is distinguished from the others because it is full of live nutrients.
So, how can the marine phytoplankton help us?
- Marine phytoplankton has a huge whopping amount of carotenoids, amino acids and minerals. Some of these fight ageing and others help in fighting disease causing free radicals.
- Trace minerals found in marine phytoplankton like zinc, selenium, magnesium, strontium, chromium and iodine are helpful in many ways right from fighting cancer to controlling thyroid function and reversing neurological disorders.
- Marine phytoplankton contains phytochemicals which are great for removing toxins from your body, helping in circulation and preventing abnormal cell division that usually leads to cancer.
- Helps preventing diseases that cause degeneration of the body and mind
Marine phytoplankton has so many nutrients that it’s hard to classify them all here. Suffice it to say that it contains all the goodness required to treat diseases and disorders such as atherosclerosis, eczema, Parkinson’s disease, asthma, osteoporosis and many other diseases.
Raw marine phytoplankton is really potent and there are many products which offer it to you in liquid form. Of course, it is also available as powder or tablet but many health aware people feel that it loses its powers and potency if it is processed in any form.
9. Aloe – Aloe is well known today for many reasons, be it for providing soft and supple skin or to help assuage mild burns or probably even help in diaper rash. But, did you know that aloe vera is also a superfood and can be consumed because it provides some really amazing health benefits?
Aloe vera has long been recognized for its superficial effects on our body but now scientists are realizing that this plant is quite a potent superfood as well. Here are some of the benefits it provides:
- Helps maintain the balance of good bacteria in the intestine so that digestion is good
- Helps people suffering from allergies and helps in keeping blood sugar normal.
- Contains trace minerals such as calcium, selenium, zinc, chromium and magnesium, which are really good for health.
- Polysaccharides help in keeping the immune system healthy.
- Detoxifies the body and even gets rid of harmful bacteria from the body.
- Contains sterils, which greatly reduce the risk of atherosclerosis.
- Helps in healing and preventing fungus infections.
Aloe can be taken in the form of juice, smoothies, soups, dips or even salad dressing and it will provide all the much needed nutrients without a hitch.
Aloe vera is a perennial succulent that grows in a wild and seems to do best in tropical and sub-tropical areas. It has been deemed a superfood after research studies identifying its seventy-five healing compounds including natural steroids, antibiotic agents, amino acids, minerals and enzymes. Aloe vera has been used since Egyptian times as a skin moisturizer, and healer for burns, cuts, bruises, acne and eczema. This is mostly due to the high concentration of natural sulphur (MSM) that it contains. Aloe juices alkalizes the digestive tract preventing over-acidity, a common cause of indigestion, acid reflux, heartburn and ulcers.
10. Hemp seed – Hemp as we know is an extremely versatile product of nature and right from ropes to paper, hemp has been instrumental in making our lives easier. However, in recent times, hemp seed has slowly gained popularity as a superfood because of its amazing powers in keeping us healthy.
Consistent research is being conducted on this aspect but we do know that hemp seed helps us in the following ways:
- Hemp seeds are rich in essential amino acids and fatty acids that are required for a healthy life; in fact, hemp seeds are better than meat, eggs and soy, traditional sources of protein because of its amazing amino acid profile.
- It has calcium, iron as well as other minerals such as zinc, magnesium, copper and manganese.
- Hemp seeds are known to alleviate the symptoms of those suffering from eczema.
- Hemp seeds are richer in omega-3 than walnuts.
- Hemp seeds are ideal for vegans who do not eat meat at all as it meets all their protein requirements.
- Hemp seeds make your immune system stronger and helps you fight diseases better.
- Hemp oil derived from hemp seeds is the best possible EFA (Essential Fatty Acid) supplement there is.
Hemp seeds can be eaten in its raw form; they can be made into hemp milk like soy milk, or made into tea. Hemp leaves can also be added to salads while there’s hemp tofu and hemp butter as well. There are plenty of recipes that can liven up your meal with the goodness of hemp.
11. Coconut – Tropical countries where coconuts abound often take them for granted. However, since they also consume enough coconut water constantly, it is one of the reason for their good health. Coconut water found inside the shell is pure because of the many filters it has had to pass through till it reached the center.
Did you know that tender coconut water is very similar to the plasma in human blood? So, whenever you drink tender coconut water mixed with some other fresh juice, preferably a green leaf one like wheat grass, you’re giving your body an amazing boost of power and energy.
Soft coconut meat has its own uses as well but here’s a look at what coconut water can do for you:
- Those suffering from cholera can find great relief in tender coconut water because of its sodium and albumin content.
- For people with kidney stones, drinking coconut water helps in tackling the pain, while protecting the kidneys from bad calcium sources.
- Coconut water, at times, is used as a substitute for blood plasma because of its purity.
- Coconut oil and coconut cream contain Medium Chain Fatty Acids, which are instrumental in making the immune system stronger.
- Coconut oil contains antioxidants such as pregnenolone that are highly useful for the body.
- Coconut cream and coconut oil help in balancing the blood sugar level and enable you to without food without feeling the onset of hypoglycemia.
- In young coconuts, the meat inside is soft and is excellent for creating breast milk.
Coconuts are indeed a superfood that have been ignored largely because of misleading reports of cholesterol increase on coconut consumption. There’s no end to the different uses that can be created with the humble coconut, right from oil to cream or just its water.
12. Camu Camu – If you thought that tanking up on Vitamin C will keep colds away, you’re right. But don’t rely on just citrus fruits for this. Take a look at the Camu Camu berry, which can be found in the South American rainforests. This berry contains the highest amount of Vitamin C in any botanical source and you might be surprised to learn that while a lemon can contain 0.5 percent Vitamin C, the Camu Camu berry contains up to 4 percent! A huge leap indeed.
The Camu Camu berry is not just full of Vitamin C but also contains calcium, potassium, phosphorus and iron. Amino acids such as leucine, serine and valine are also present in this excellent superfood. Other vitamins that are also found in the Camu Camu are thiamine, riboflavin and niacin.
Here are some of the benefits of the Camu Camu berry:
- The huge amount of Vitamin C content ensures that your immune system works in top condition
- Helps improve your eye sight considerably
- Great for the skin
- Keeps away colds and other viral infections
- Keeps your tendons, collagen and ligaments strong
- Helps in keeping your lungs healthy
- Works at reducing inflammation considerably
- Regular consumption of Camu Camu helps you keep your cool in stressful times
- Helps in keeping organs like eyes, brain, heart, skin and liver in good working condition
The Camu Camu berry is available as a dried powder which can be used in various ways. You can mix it with water to make an instant health drink or add it to juices and smoothies. The Camu Camu berry powder is tangy and flavorful so it’s a pleasure to consume it. Do note that excessive consumption could lead to diarrhea also.
13. Noni – This Polynesian fruit has been in the news for quite some time and all for the best possible reasons. People the world over have started acknowledging the benefits of the noni fruit and researchers are giving it the status of superfood. The noni fruit has a strong smell and taste and is not palatable at first, but it takes a bit of getting used to. However, regardless of its taste, the noni is one of the most wonderful gifts of nature as it is power packed with nutrients that can fight numerous diseases and has loads of other benefits for you as well:
- Noni is rich with antioxidants that fight free radicals effectively, keeping you younger and healthier
- Other compounds such as selenium help in keeping the skin glowing, fresh and healthy
- Then there’s xeronine which works wonders for your cell structure and helps in cell regeneration
- Glycosides fight free radicals while scopoletin has anti-inflammatory properties
- An exciting new study shows that noni helps stimulate the white blood cells and kick starts the immune system to work effectively
Noni can be consumed fresh although its juice is highly popular now. Of course, some of its efficacy is compromised when mixed with sugar, so if you happen to visit tropical islands make sure to blend the noni fruit with coconut water and chug it down because it’s an excellent and tasty way of consuming noni. Noni powders are also available that can be mixed with juices and smoothies. Noni leaves are also consumed in the form of tea.
14. Bee Pollen – Bee products are slowly gaining a wide acceptance in the world of nutrition and people are waking up to the fact that bee products are natural and wholesome superfoods. A relatively unknown bee product is bee pollen which has become hugely popular for the numerous health benefits it offers.
- One thing common to all superfoods is the antioxidant levels which are really high in bee pollen. These antioxidants help you lead a healthier and longer life.
- Bee pollen is renowned to be an excellent aphrodisiac and is known to increase sexual health
- If you are low on stamina, try bee pollen as it helps you bounce back faster after exercise and lets you increase your performance levels
- Those suffering from allergies should be relieved to know that bee pollen lowers histamine production which is the key cause of allergies
- There are lots of B vitamins in bee pollen that works wonders for your skin and prevents wrinkling and aging
- Bee pollen is also great for those who are suffering from Type 2 diabetes because it restores mineral and metabolic deficiencies
- Bee pollen is also known to help those who have colitis, constipation, anemia and bronchitis
- Bee pollen has an astonishing number of vitamins – eighteen in all, fourteen fatty acids and is 15% lecithin
- Bee pollen actually has more protein than meat, eggs or cheese.
15. Propolis – Propolis is a resin that bees collect from tree bark and use it in the honeycomb as a sort of veneer or glue, which filled up cracks and helped create doorways. What’s amazing is that propolis is actually a nutrient packed superfood that people are recognizing now for its amazing disease fighting powers. It’s as good as penicillin, only better. If that’s confusing, read on:
- Propolis is antibacterial, antifungal and a completely natural antibiotic that does not produce unfavorable side effects
- It is packed with flavonoids which help in healing wounds faster and better. In fact when it is applied topically, it fights all sorts of bacteria and microorganisms
- Propolis contains minerals, amino acids, fats, vitamin E, C , provitamin A and B complex
- The bioflavonoids in propolis are extremely useful in repairing the blood vessels and making capillaries stronger
- Studies have indicated that propolis was one of the ways in which mouth ulcer could be controlled
- Research has shown that propolis helps in the treatment of arthritis, asthma and various other allergies
- It’s also interesting to learn that propolis works against MRSA, the bacteria that actually resists antibiotics and causes danger to many patients
16. Honey – By honey, we don’t mean the supermarket variety that you normally use to drizzle over toast or pancakes. Have you ever considered the differences in that honey and raw, organic honey? The top most one is that the latter is a superfood, recognized the world over for its immense healing and beneficial properties. One doesn’t need an introduction to honey. We’ve been brought up on it. But you need to know that raw honey is indeed special and has some benefits that you were probably unaware of. For instance, did you know that:
- Raw unprocessed honey is the richest source of live, healing enzymes which go a long way in sharpening your IQ and making you more mentally alert
- Honey has medicinal benefits and can be used to heal wounds as well
- Honey can help people suffering from diarrhea, infections, gastrointestinal problems and various other ailments by alleviating their symptoms greatly
- Honey is easily digestible and is a great energy boost for the body
When buying honey, look for raw and organic honey that has not been processed and is stored in glass jars.
17. Royal Jelly – Here’s another little known bee product that has gained the status of superfood in recent times. Royal jelly is a thick, milky substance that is secreted from the pharyngeal glands of a special group of nurse bees. Bees that are earmarked for becoming queen bees are fed with royal jelly while worker bees are fed with only pollen and honey. While this bit of information is fascinating for those interested in apiculture, what is more enticing is that royal jelly is an excellent source of nutrition and offers great benefits to us as well. Here’s how it can help:
- Royal jelly contains B5 and other B vitamins as well as amino acids and a host of minerals like potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc, iron and manganese.
- Royal jelly gives a burst of energy. It’s like caffeine without the flip side
- It contains a good amount of pantothenic acid and has an ideal combination of proteins, fats and carbohydrates
- Acetylcholine is an important fluid that is required for the proper functioning of nerve impulses between nerve fibers and this helps in thinking properly. Royal jelly is a rich source of acetylcholine and even helps those suffering from Alzheimer’s
- Helps in the treatment of glandular and hormonal disorders
- Prevents atherosclerosis and fights heart diseases as well
- Research with cancer cells has shown that royal jelly has a significant effect upon them, particularly in reducing them, truly making it an amazing superfood
Royal jelly is available as a variety of products be it capsules, tablets or powder. But you can also get fresh royal jelly by purchasing it from beekeepers who collect it directly from the bee hives. Royal jelly is also recognized for its cosmetic properties like removing wrinkles and keeping the skin rejuvenated and young.
18. Seaweeds -
are the most nutritionally dense plants on the planet as they have access to all the nutrients in the ocean. They can contain up to 10 times more calcium than milk and eight times as much as beef. The chemical composition of seaweeds is so close to human blood plasma, that perhaps their greatest benefit is regulating and purifying our blood system. They help to alkalize our blood, neutralizing the over-acid effects of our modern diet and protect us from a wide array of toxic elements in the environment, including heavy metals, pollutants and radiation by-products converting them to harmless salts that the body can eliminate.
But the most remarkable results with seaweeds we see is boosting weight loss and deterring cellulite build-up. The high concentration of natural iodine helps to stimulate the thyroid gland so that food fuels are used before they can be turned into fatty deposits. At the same time, the minerals act like electrolytes to break the chemical bond that seals the fat cells allowing trapped wastes to escape. Both by eating sea vegetables or bathing in them helps reduce cellulite and stimulates lymphatic drainage.
Nori – is best known for the seaweed used to make sushi rolls. You can make your own at home, make sure you use the untoasted nori sheets for maximum nutrient content.
Kelp – kelp is available in powder or capsule form for those who feel awkward eating seaweed. It is also the most common seaweed found along the ocean shores. Due to their thick leaves they are perfect for a hot seaweed bath.
Dulse – a red seaweed, available in flakes. There is no need to cook dulse. It is great to use as seasoning on salads, vegetables and soups.
Arame – consists of brown stringy seaweed. Soak in hot water for 5 minutes and it is ready to use.
Wakame – With a sweet flavor makes a great compliment to sandwiches. Soak for 5 minutes in hot water.
Kombu – Used in Japan for centuries as a mineral rich flavour enhancer. Add a strip of kombu when cooking beans making them more digestible and reducing gas. Add a strip of kombu to your sprouts when soaking them to allow them to soak up the minerals.
19. HERBS -
as nourishment offer the body a whole host of nutrients it may not have received either because of poor diet or environmental deficiencies in the soil or air. Herbs as medicine are essentially body balancers that work with the body functions so that it can heal and regulate itself. Herbs have been used for centuries as part of the wisdoms of natural healing methods. Herbs are best used in their whole form rather than isolating effective plant constituents so-called “active ingredients”. Since all body parts and most disease symptoms are interrelated, it is wise to use herbs which can affect each part of the problem.
Nettle – the bowel mover. These plants are best known as stinging nettle plants. However when the nettle leaves are dried and eaten the saliva neutralizes the sting. Nettles are incredibly effective in removing unwanted pounds. A cup of nettle tea in the morning is ideal to get things going in the bowel department. The nettle leaves increase the thyroid function, increase metabolism and releases mucus in the colon allowing for the flushing of excess wastes.
Echinacea – Echinacea is a household name when it comes to warding off colds and flu. This herb is used as a natural antibiotic and immune system stimulator, helping to build up resistance. The reason for its effectiveness is because of its ability to stimulate the lymph flow in the body. Lymph runs parallel with our bloodstream and carries toxins out of the body. The herb can be taken in liquid or capsule form for 2-3 week periods during “high risk” flu seasons. The tea from this herb has also grown in popularity for treating infections and cancers including skin cancer.
Ginseng – Ginseng is the quintessential herb for handling stress. This ancient healing herb has been used widely throughout Asia as an energizer tonic. This special herb is particularly beneficial when recovering from illness or surgery for its restorative and anti-infection properties. It promotes regeneration from stress and fatigue.
20. Greens - Greens are good, Green Superfoods are even better! Green superfoods have the highest concentrations of easily digestible nutrients, fat burning compounds, vitamins and minerals to protect and heal the body. They contain a wide array of beneficial substances including proteins, protective photo-chemicals and healthy bacteria helping you to build cleaner muscles and tissues, aid your digestive system function and more effectively protect you against disease and illness.
Green superfoods are extremely rich in chlorophyll – the pigment that gives plants their green color. The molecular structure of chlorophyll is very similar to that of human blood and studies show that when this is consumed, the production of hemoglobin in blood is increased. Higher amounts of hemoglobin in the bloodstream means more oxygen-rich blood, the first and most important element that cells need to thrive.
Wheat grass – Wheat grass is the sprouted grass of a wheat seed. Unlike the whole grain, because it has been sprouted, it no longer contains gluten or other common allergic agents. Wheat grass is super alkalizing and is excellent for promoting healthy blood. It normalizes the thyroid gland to stimulate metabolism thus assisting digestion and promoting weight loss due also to its high enzyme content and cleansing effect.
Wheatgrass is one of the most potently healthy substances on earth. Yet for some reason it is still not mainstream. Since I’ve been using wheatgrass I’ve noticed my energy levels go sky high, my skin clear up and colds, coughs and illnesses disappear forever. Others have seen their gray hairs vanish, Rosacea clear up, bad breath subside, allergies clear up and a whole lot more.
You cannot detract from the simple fact that wheatgrass:
- 30mls of freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice is equivalent in nutritional value to 1kg of leafy green vegetables
- Wheatgrass contains over 90 minerals, including high concentrations of the most alkaline minerals: potassium, calcium, magnesium and sodium
- It contains the essential enzymes: Protease (assists in protein digestion), Cytochrome Oxidase (a powerful anti oxidant), Amylase (facilitates digestion), Lipase (a fat splitting enzyme), Transhydrogenase (strengthens the heart muscle) & Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) (found in all body cells and is known for its ability to lessen the effect of radiation and slow cellular aging)
- Just one teaspoon of Wheat Grass powder, weighing a mere 3.5 grams, is nutritionally equal to an entire spinach salad weighing a full 50 grams – it packs a punch!
- Wheatgrass has more vitamin C than oranges and twice the vitamin A as carrots!
- Wheat grass juice helps your body to build red blood cells which carry oxygen to every cell. By increasing the oxygenation the body you can help offset smog and carbon monoxide and increase your endurance during physical exercise
- It also contains 19 amino acids, the building blocks of protein
Barley grass – Barley grass juice has anti-viral activities and neutralizes heavy metals such as mercury in the blood.
Green barley leaves contain a multitude of the body’s spark plugs, enzymes. Enzymes supply the spark that starts the essential chemical reactions our bodies need to live. Without this spark, and these chemical reactions, we would be helpless: a bag of bones, unable to walk, talk, blink, or breathe.
Astounding amounts of vitamins and minerals are found in green barley leaves. These include potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, phosphorus, manganese, zinc, beta carotene, B1, B2, B6, C, folic acid, and pantothenic acid. Indeed, green barley juice contains 11 times the calcium in cows’ milk, nearly 5 times the iron in spinach, 7 times the vitamin C in oranges, and 80 mg of vitamin B12 per hundred grams. Green barley leaves also contain significant amounts of chlorophyll.
- Cellular repair and regeneration:Barley grass also contains a wealth of essential nutrients, antioxidants and antiinflammatory substances (chlorophyll, SOD, the glycoprotein P4-D1 and D1-G1), mainly for support cellular repair and regeneration. The proven ability of Green Magma barley grass of the brand (such as barley grass used in these studies) is to restore the function of cells, the anti-aging for the control of free radicals to reduce inflammation and stimulate circulation Blood and healthy as possible in their ability to prevent and counter the damage to genetic material
- Antioxidant as protection: the juice of barley grass contains a interactive and balanced blend of antioxidants and vitamins (carotenoids, vitamin C, vitamin E, catalase, and chlorophyll). The result of the research may be interesting for been drikers, as it also research on the antioxidant 2 -O-GIV barley grass or “lipid peroxidation”. The peroxide makes free radicals that are responsible for tissues damage. Flavonoids in barley grass may help keep these changes and to protect the body against cancer, including skin cancer and premature aging skin conditions that are associated with free radicals.
- Anti-inflammatory:Barley grass juice comprises significant anti-inflammatory contents. In addition to SOD and chlorophyll, there are 2 other potent anti-inflammatory proteins glycol juice extracted from barley grass.
- Lower cholesterol and prevent oxidation of LDL in patients with type 2 diabetes: People with type 2 diabetes have an increased risk of atherosclerosis
Green leafy vegetables – Green leafy vegetables are so readily available and so highly nutritious, however most people do not eat enough of them. Studies continuously confirm that populations that eat a diet high in green leafy vegetables run a far lower risk of heart disease and cancer. Fresh raw green leafy vegetables contain high doses of chlorophyll, easily digestible proteins, enzymes and a wide range of vitamins and minerals. These particular vegetables act as mini-transfusions for the blood, a health tonic for the brain and immune system and a cleanser of the kidneys. Try any of the following: rocket, spinach, dandelion greens, kale, watercress, parsley, lettuce, endive, chicory, broccoli sprouts and mustard sprouts.
Everyday scientists and researchers are throwing more light on hitherto unknown superfoods, making us realize that we have a veritable treasure trove when it comes to health giving foods. We only need to learn how to derive the maximum benefit from them