Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) :Health Benefits of Pantothenic Acid. Food Sources of Pantothenic Acid
By: Wilfred Rawventure Campbell
Tags: adrenal glands, benefits of pantothenic acid, Carbohydrate, Cofactor (biochemistry), Health, High-density lipoprotein, liver conditions, Low-density lipoprotein, Nutrient, nutrition, oxidation of fats, Pantothenic acid, red blood cells, Vitamin, vitamin B, vitamin b5, Vitamin B6, Vitamins and Minerals
Pantothenic acid or Vitamin B5 is a water soluble vitamin and it comes under the category of essential nutrients. This B vitamin is also called Pantothenate. It’s a B complex vitamin which performs many important roles for health especially in the oxidation of fats and carbohydrates. Just like other B vitamins Pantothenic acid or Vitamin B5 helps body to convert foods to produce energy. Not only it synthesizes carbohydrates, fats and proteins, it also synthesizes with a small sulphur containing molecule to create coenzyme A. Coenzyme A or CoA is required for variety of chemical reactions.
Pantothenic acid or Vitamin B5 is important for the production of red blood cells and also for the production of healthy fats in the cells. It promotes the health of adrenal glands thus improves body’s response to stress. This is why Pantothenic acid is often referred as anti-stress vitamin. Vitamin B5 is also good for the skin and hair. It is required for the treatment of alopecia. Because of its skin benefits it is used for the treatment of acne and studies suggest Pantothenic acid can heal the wounds faster. Although, more researches need to be done on this area, but combination of Vitamin B5 and Vitamin C can be very helpful to heal the wounds faster. Initial studies suggest that Pantothenic acid may help in the prevention and treatment of arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and Osteoarthritis. Lower levels of Pantothenic acid or Vitamin B5 in the blood can lead to arthritis.
One of the crucial health benefits of Pantothenic acid or Vitamin B5 is that this vitamin helps to reduce triglycerides levels in the blood. It is also helpful in lowering the levels of bad cholesterol or LDL and raising the levels of good cholesterol or HDL. Pantothenic acid is good for the patients of diabetes as well. In addition, Pantothenic acid is helpful in the treatment of various liver conditions. It has been used in many diseases and conditions such as asthma, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism, cataracts, colitis, convulsions, cystitis and burning foot syndrome. It is also used in the treatment and prevention of stress and anxiety, dizziness, streptomycin neurotoxicity, insomnia, low blood pressure, low blood sugar, diabetic nerve pain, Parkinson’s disease, PMS and chronic fatigue syndrome.
Pantothenic acid or Vitamin B5 is important for the fats production and then convert fats into usable energy. Pantothenic acid helps to change the structure and functions of proteins. Our body sometimes needs these changes of cell proteins. Vitamin B5 helps body in these chemicals reactions and thus regulates the important body functions.
Nutrient - Daily Amount Needed :
5 mg for adults and 6 – 7 mg for women who are pregnant or lactating.
Children need 2 – 4 mg of pantothenic acid per day.
Fruit Sources: ( Avocado, Black Currants, Breadfruit, Cantaloupe, Cherimoya, Dates, Gooseberries, Grapefruit, Guava, Pomegranate, Raspberries, Starfruit, Watermelon)
Vegetable Sources : (Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Butternut Squash, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Corn, French Beans, Mushrooms, Okra, Parsnip, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Spirulina, Spinach, Spaghetti Squash, Squash – summer, Squash – winter, Sweet Potato)
Nut/Grain Sources: (Buckwheat, Chestnuts, Oats, Peanut, Rye, Sunflower Seeds, Walnut, Wheat – Durum, Wheat – Hard Red, Wheat – Hard White)
Benefits of Pantothenic Acid
- Pantothenic acid is used to treat respiratory disorders and heart problems.
- It helps prevent early aging and promotes physical growth.
- It helps lower the symptoms of diabetes, skin disorders, osteoarthritis, etc.
- It is used to treat asthma and allergies. It helps alleviate the symptoms of asthma and allergy.
- It works great for hair loss. It also offers smooth and glowing skin.
- Vitamin B5 helps to strengthen your immune system. It thus lowers the chances of having various types of infections.
- It also helps lower the symptoms of psychological stress and anxiety. It triggers the production of steroids, neurotransmitter in brain.
- Pantothenic acid being an antioxidant vitamin, helps prevent various types of diseases and disorders. It ensures good health and it is required for proper functioning of each body part. It helps extract vital nutrients like fat, carbohydrates and proteins from the food ingested.
- Vitamins B3 (Niacin) : The Essential vitamin Required For Processing Fat In The Body, Lowering Cholesterol Levels, And Regulating Blood Sugar Levels. (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) : Health Benefits of Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Immune System Booster – Food, Herbs and Activities (blissreturned.wordpress.com)
- Alanine : The amino acid that helps the body to convert glucose, a simple sugar, into energy and also helps the body to eliminate excess toxins from the liver. (blissreturned.wordpress.com)